traveling wilburies

Discussions related to George Harrison as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Gastro (gone) » Wed Apr 23, 2003 1:40 am

I put in a bid at ebay for a russian cd which has both vol1 and vol3 back to back on the same cd. It's the same price as a single cd so I think it's worth it.
Gastro (gone)

Postby Steve-o » Sat May 10, 2003 7:20 pm

quote:Originally posted by DylansMrJones
George Harrison's LIVE IN JAPAN set is also out of print, and shouldn't be. I had to settle for a CD burn of it for the time being. LIJ gets a bit of flack, but I think it's quite good. Lord I hope not, lol. I actually got it from the library...and I've said many times, HUGELY disappointing. The definitive GH live album is Bangla Desh, WAD. But it came out after only his first solo album. Even though I hear his voice was horrid on the tour, but it's too bad we dont have something from his Dark Horse tour. LIJ is nice to have as a momento, but man, does it have some really bad mixing, vocals and playing from time to time. A few nice moments, but that's it.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Gastro (gone) » Tue May 13, 2003 1:06 am

Steve, I strongly disagree with your comments about LIJ. It's a fantastic live album from George. George never had a great voice so I always expected the vocals to not be up to scratch bit his backing band was Eric Clapton's band and boy can those guys play. What's da madda wit choo???????? It's great so enjoy it.. I mean how good is that version of Something or those great solos on Taxman or that great version of Give Me Love... You cannot seriously say that this was hugely diappointing when Paul's TTLF had some pretty bad mixes of songs on it... eg Ebony and Ivory, We Got Married, Birthday, Long and Winding Road etc...I've never heard Bangla Desh so I can't compare but this was a real treat for Geroge's fans...
Gastro (gone)

Postby Steve-o » Tue May 13, 2003 7:13 am

Gastro....I have said it many times...it's DREADFUL. Bangla is so much better--not even close. The playing in LIJ is ragged and way too fast and sounds like it was rehearsed in a 1/2 day. Horrid. I think you just like to find my opinions and just disagree with them. That, or you need a good ear-swabbing!!! Fantastic? LOL
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Gastro (gone) » Tue May 13, 2003 8:33 pm

Steve, I don't waste my time posting messages unless I feel the need to express an opinion and I find that most of your opinions are different to mine. I don't have a problem with that. It would be a boring world if everyone liked the same thing.. but to say that live album is horrid is completely irrational. Eric Clapton's group blows Paul's away from the '90 tour. I find the playing to be impeccable, I just don't hear what you're hearing. When this album came out it didn't sell very well but the critics loved it saying it blew Paul's TTLF away. George's versions of the Beatles songs are nothing short of brilliant. The original version of Taxman was more of a rock song but his live version is funked up with abit of an r&b feel. Paul never changes the way his songs are played apart from Coming Up, that's why I find this album so enjoyable. Also there's alot of duel / dual leads on here between George and EC which are very fluid and have alot of feel. Surely you can hear the chemistry these two guys have onstage. You said you didn't like it because the playing was so bad well maybe that's because this is a real live album and not a pseudo studio album that Paul likes to call a live album. I have come to the conclusion that you are either tone deaf or you need to clean the wax out of your ears because there's something definitely affecting your hearing. [:)]
Gastro (gone)

Postby Steve-o » Tue May 13, 2003 8:43 pm

LOL, Gastro. Yes..differing opinions make the world go round. I know you like to rip Macca from time to time...and that's fine---you have your right to your opinion. Do yourself a favor...get a copy of Bangla Desh and then compare the two. Maybe LIJ suffers to me because of the comparison. If you love LIJ, you'll absolutely go crazy over BD.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Gastro (gone) » Tue May 13, 2003 11:31 pm

I will.. but one thing scares me.. don't you think that the fact you like it means that it's highly likely I'm not going to like it? [;)]

Just teasing dude..
Gastro (gone)

Postby Steve-o » Wed May 14, 2003 7:26 am

Well..possibly, GB. [:D] Seriously, though....there is some crap on the album, but GH's performances are truly awesome.....SOmething (with EC), Here comes the Sun (with Badfinger), Wah Wah, My Sweet Lord, Beware of Darkness....etc...such powerful vocals. Maybe the vocals are what makes LIJ so bad for me. Possible. And dont give me that crap about a REAL live album. Paul is a better singer live than GH, of course. And yes, there are touch ups, but I have now about 6 boots from the US tours, and he sounds much better than GH does on LIJ....in fact, some of the performances sound better than BIUS (MIA, etc). Seriously, GB, check out Bangla Desh.....
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby MegaChriz » Mon May 08, 2006 9:18 am

Why are the CD's of the Traveling Wilburys not available anymore in the CD stores?
MegaChriz

Previous

Return to GEORGE