44 years ago today

Discussions related to George Harrison as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

44 years ago today

Postby Rene » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:54 am

It was 44 years ago today that a "skinny little English kid" as the locals called him, came to visit his sister Louise in Benton Illinois. The first Beatle to ever visit or play music in the states. While he was here he hung out with the locals...went to a drive in...the kind you eat at where the girls were on roller skates, and really love it. Ate at the local pizza place that is still there, hung out at the town square, gave records to different people he met, and searched local record stores to see if anyone knew who his band from England were...they didn't. He became good friends with another young musician and played a gig or two with his local band. The young girls would follow George and Peter around at a comfortable distance in awe of the two boys from England. There is alot of rich history there and plenty of stories. I just wanted to remember. George had said of his visit that it was the last time he knew peace...the last time things were "normal"....The next time he came to the states was to appear on Ed Sullivan...and the rest is.....beautiful history.

~~thought you'd like to remember with me. :D
"If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal." John Lennon

http://www.myspace.com/amazedrene
Rene
Supporter
Supporter

Re: 44 years ago today

Postby chris » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:17 am

i had family in benton, long long ago...i recall huge cliffs with ridges running up and down them. its been a long time, and maybe my memory is fuzzy...

long live george...may his influence continue to impress...
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Rene » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:26 am

Sounds like you're remembering a state park thats near by...
I live about an hour from Benton and go often.
So cool you had family there!!
"If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal." John Lennon

http://www.myspace.com/amazedrene
Rene
Supporter
Supporter

Postby L Dozier » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:39 pm

Rene, what's the name of the pizza place that is still there?
L Dozier

Return to GEORGE