George & Paul's relationship in the 80s

Discussions related to George Harrison as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Re: George & Paul's relationship in the 80s

Postby Crisstti » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:31 pm

chris wrote:i think so. it must have happened when the band was still intact.

I don't think that the 1985 (1986?) lawsuit had anything to do with that. That 1969 thing had to do with the royalties (or ownership, I don't know) for the Lennon/McCartney songs. I think.

I think that the 80's lawsuit had something to do with a deal between Paul and Capitol...

But I don't really know...
"You've never felt the rain, my friend, until you've felt it running down you back".
Crisstti

Postby chris » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:15 pm

i have to be honest...i didn't know there was an issue between the boys regarding a deal with paul and capital records.

but i have to ask...what could an agreement between capital and mr mccartney in the 80's have anything to do with george, john and ringo? i'd think anything new(ish) shouldn't affect the "band" in any way.

but seriously, what do i know?
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Crisstti » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:38 pm

Well, I don't erally know either. I asked in the google Beatles forum why hadn't Paul gone to The Beatles induction to the Rock and Roll Hall of fame, and they said something about a deal between Paul and Capitol about Beatles royalties.

I still don't really know what's that about.
:?:
"You've never felt the rain, my friend, until you've felt it running down you back".
Crisstti

Re: Re:

Postby Cologne girl » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:12 pm

Harrythebannister wrote:
Cologne girl wrote: It's like when I drive our car in my husband's presence- I got my driving licence 18 years ago, but he still wants to tell me when to shift gears.

That's quite normal, isn't it?? :wink:

Yeah, I suppose it must be a standard deficiency located on the "Y" chromosome :wink:
It's the start of a journey
To a much better place
And this wasn't bad
So a much better place
Would have to be special...
Cologne girl
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Cologne girl » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:14 pm

chris wrote:but i have to ask...what could an agreement between capital and mr mccartney in the 80's have anything to do with george, john and ringo? i'd think anything new(ish) shouldn't affect the "band" in any way.

On the other hand, why should George "all of a sudden" be cross about a 1969 issue just then? As I said, there would have been plenty of time to get that sorted out before, when John was still alive.
To a much better place
And this wasn't bad
So a much better place
Cologne girl
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Re:

Postby Harrythebannister » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:22 am

Cologne girl wrote:
Harrythebannister wrote:
Cologne girl wrote: It's like when I drive our car in my husband's presence- I got my driving licence 18 years ago, but he still wants to tell me when to shift gears.

That's quite normal, isn't it?? :wink:

Yeah, I suppose it must be a standard deficiency located on the "Y" chromosome :wink:

:lol: :lol:
Man I could smell your breath a mile away.
Harrythebannister
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mini » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:32 pm

Cologne girl wrote:
chris wrote:but i have to ask...what could an agreement between capital and mr mccartney in the 80's have anything to do with george, john and ringo? i'd think anything new(ish) shouldn't affect the "band" in any way.

On the other hand, why should George "all of a sudden" be cross about a 1969 issue just then? As I said, there would have been plenty of time to get that sorted out before, when John was still alive.

The Paul shares thing happened in 1966.

George , Paul and Ringo almost had this sorted out in 1973 or 74 but at the last minute John declined because the stars were not right. He was with Yoko in a hotel across the road. I believe they were in either Los Angeles or New York. When George found out he got very upset and wanted to kick John's ass.

I don't care what anyone says, Yoko got in the way of those guys and John just couldn't see it.
Mini

Postby bobrocks » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:27 am

George might have also meant Paul negotiating a bigger Beatles royalty from Capitol in the early 80's. I heard Paul talk about that years ago. He made it sound like George and Ringo were angry, like he'd done something behind their backs.
But the fact was he was up for renegotiations with Capitol, they desperatley wanted to keep him, so he negotiated a larger royalty for himself for all the Beatles records.
He was totally within his rights to do so. And like he said it wasn't like they were actually a band anymore.
bobrocks

Postby Cologne girl » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:17 pm

bobrocks wrote:George might have also meant Paul negotiating a bigger Beatles royalty from Capitol in the early 80's. I heard Paul talk about that years ago. He made it sound like George and Ringo were angry, like he'd done something behind their backs.
But the fact was he was up for renegotiations with Capitol, they desperatley wanted to keep him, so he negotiated a larger royalty for himself for all the Beatles records.
He was totally within his rights to do so. And like he said it wasn't like they were actually a band anymore.

What you are saying seems to make sense. I suppose the others (well, at least George because Ringo in terms of royalties surely did not get much anyway??) could also have re-negotiated with Capitol, had they chosen to. Only that probably Macca, due to his commercial success, was in the best position to do so.
To a much better place
And this wasn't bad
So a much better place
Cologne girl
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Crisstti » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:12 pm

bobrocks wrote:George might have also meant Paul negotiating a bigger Beatles royalty from Capitol in the early 80's. I heard Paul talk about that years ago. He made it sound like George and Ringo were angry, like he'd done something behind their backs.

Yeah, I think that is what happened.

As for the shares buying thing, I don't think it's even clear it happened.
Crisstti

PreviousNext

Return to GEORGE