George & Paul's relationship in the 80s

Discussions related to George Harrison as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

George & Paul's relationship in the 80s

Postby DeRick » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:54 pm

It sorta seemed to me they really didn't get along in the 80's. But the weird thing was i was reading one of his bio's ("Dark Horse" i believe the name of it was) and one of the forwards was by Denny Laine, & there were like pics of George & Denny in the early 80s. Its almost as if when Denny had that fallin' out with Paul over the Wings break-up, he ran to George. And it seemed George didnt wanna have nothing to do with Paul at that point, ditto for Paul. I remember in the 80s, it was either Paul & Ringo ("Give My Regards to Broadstreet", for example) or George & Ringo (R&R Hall of Fame'87, another example)
What was the problem between those 2, and why was poor Ringo stuck in the middle.
Last edited by DeRick on Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DeRick

Postby mi » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:24 am

Well I remember reading an interview from the 70's, where he said he'd join a band with John anytime but not with Paul,and that was "nothing personal, just a musical point of view". He also added that his relationship with John and Paul was very good at the time.
The common opinion is that Paul was too "bossy"... I guess there must be an element of truth in that. None of us has been there, I guess we'll never know the whole truth.I don't know, I would like to believe that Paul had no malice intentions. George was known for not having a forgiving nature (which is very different from Ringo, I think). I can't say anything about that - I am the very same type, in that essence. I just think of myself in times when I just think I'm being bossed - no matter what the original intentions were...let's just say you wouldn't want to be around me at the time. Just ask my husband...
mi
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Harrythebannister » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:37 am

I think Paul was and still is a perfectionist which can lead to him taking over situations in the studio. Basically a control freak if you like.
These tendencies caused problems in Let It Be as we know and no doubt there were continued problems throughout Wings. Maybe one of the many reasons Denny left, who knows.
There was always tension between Paul & George which was noticeable in the Anthology clips but things definately got better during the 90's thank goodness!!
I for one am glad Paul is a perfectionist other wise we wouldn't have the great catalogue of music we have today!!
Harrythebannister
Supporter
Supporter

Postby EddieV » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:30 am

They loved eachother. Love the hugging in Real Love so emotional
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Berkeleyan » Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:57 am

In short,

One of the greatest things about RINGO is the fact that he managed to stay friends w/ all the other FABS, all of the time ! He's so personable and so likable (it's been said time and time again) - actually he's friends w/ basically anyone who's someone in the ROCK PANTEON.

GEORGE was always much closer to JOHN than to PAUL, and the same thing goes for PAUL. JOHN kind of slowly lost touch with the other FABS because of we-know-who. And after all, P,G & R disliked her one way or another !

When the FABS split, it was obvious that GEORGE would socialize (and play/record) with other people - not PAUL.

As for RINGO - he was always keen to play (and drink - in the 70's and 80's) with any friend at hand.
The Love You Take is Equal to the Love You Make
Berkeleyan
Gold member :)

Postby mi » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:08 am

Berkeleyan wrote: JOHN kind of slowly lost touch with the other FABS because of we-know-who.

"She who must not be named", you mean? :wink:
mi
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Berkeleyan » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:51 am

mi wrote:
Berkeleyan wrote: JOHN kind of slowly lost touch with the other FABS because of we-know-who.

"She who must not be named", you mean? :wink:

YEP. She the evil dragon Yono who must not be named :twisted:

And by the way ME NOT MEAN, SHE MEAN ! :lol:
The Love You Take is Equal to the Love You Make
Berkeleyan

Postby DeRick » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:04 am

Its still kinda sad to me that Paul is the only former bandmate in which you don't hear George's trademark slide guitar on any of Paul's recordings.
You hear it on some of John's & alot of Ringo's, but never Paul's. That's always been a major let-down to me.
DeRick

Postby DeRick » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:05 am

As for Ringo, i always got that same feeling about him when he did that song "Early 1970", it showed me where his heart was. Ringo just did not wanna fight.
God bless him!
DeRick

Postby eggman1979 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:31 am

It´s curious, don´t you think? Paul and George were schoolmates, they lived nearby, took the same bus...they had all the necessary to become best friends but suddenly John appears. Paul has always said it, he felt just like John was his other half ( musically speaking, of course). He always remembers and talks about songwriting with John, exchanging musical ideas, musical experiences, they complement each other. But what about George? I think is a matter of personality. Paul is a person who loves parties, money, being famous, stay in touch with Royalty, to socialize and George hated all that.

When Beatles split Paul missed to death stay with the others but, you know, money issue was in the middle ( and also "you-know-who") but couldn´t just let it go. On the other hand George NEVER missed being a Beatle, maybe sometimes. Everytime, on every show that Paul performs a Beatles´song he´s saying "oh how I wish to go back in time, play with the other guys" and George not so much.

Paul is more a musician, he has an everlasting talent, he can compose from a hard rock theme like Helter Skelter to classical music. George was more rocker-style, more folk, he´s the only one who can mix rock with indian music and make it sound great (remember Paul´s attempt, Riding into Jaipur? Never the same thing).

Well, I must say I identify the best with John and George, but I also LOVE Sir Paul. I agree, I always cry everytime I hear Paul talking about the others with so much tenderness, I LOVED the Paul and George´s hug on Real love. I LOVED when he performed Something and All thing must pass on his tours, I LOVED Paul´s performance on the Concert for George.

And what about George? He reunited The Beatles in 1987, don´t you remember When we was fab video? The walrus (Paul)was there!!!!

Sorry if I make some mistakes on my english, it´s not perfect.

You can e-mail me to eggman1979@hotmail.com

Regards from Mexico.
We can make it to Mexico City...AGAIN!!!!!
eggman1979
Bronze member
Bronze member

Next

Return to GEORGE