Jeff Lynne on George's new album

Discussions related to George Harrison as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Liam OSM » Tue Oct 22, 2002 5:26 am

quote:Originally posted by stevew628
Parts of Real Love are JL'ish , to me, but only a bit. During the chorus--the music behind "It's real love, It's reeeaaaaallll"...but only a bit. I think jeff must be afraid of Macca. [:D]

Nah, it's not that . . . I think it's just the fact that they were playing over the top of a demo. They should have just recorded the songs completely fresh.
Liam OSM
Gold member :)

Postby Steve-o » Tue Oct 22, 2002 8:37 am

No, Liam..thats not what I mean. It's the pacing of the song at that point...It's no use....You wont "get" it anyway, LOL.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Tue Oct 22, 2002 9:26 am

quote:They should have just recorded the songs completely fresh.

I don't agree...AT ALL. The whole point was to take the original songs John had written and to clean them up and add to them. I think it would have TOTALLY ruined it if Paul, George, and Ringo were to totally scrap the demos and record the songs totally fresh. That would have missed the whole point.
Ram1

Postby Steve-o » Tue Oct 22, 2002 10:09 am

AGree 100%, Ram1!
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Liam OSM » Tue Oct 22, 2002 10:39 am

I do see where you're coming from, but it wouldn't be the first time that a Beatles recording has not featured all four Beatles - and John wrote it, I feel that's enough. I understand your point of view, I simply feel that it would have been a better recording if they'd done it from fresh.
Liam OSM

Postby Steve-o » Tue Oct 22, 2002 12:08 pm

Oh Liam....goodness.....what does the bit about "it wouldnt be the first time" have to do with anything here?

They took HIS song and added to it..he was deceased ..it wouldn't have been the same without that piece of the puzzle..his original vocals were crutial to the project..DUH!!!
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Liam OSM » Tue Oct 22, 2002 12:36 pm

This from the person who complains about the vocals on Milk & Honey? John's vocal tracks on FAAB and RL are a little lacking . . .
Liam OSM

Postby Steve-o » Tue Oct 22, 2002 4:13 pm

Of course they are, Liamshine. Geez... The vocals that they used were the ONLY ones available, as the man was dead when they added to it. When talking of Milk and Honey, I lamented that it was a shame that he didnt get a chance to finish and add proper vocals. This was 15 years after his death...and they did the best they could....
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:06 am

Liam, you're missing the whole point. I mean you *understand* what we're saying, but you still don't really *get it*. Like Steve said, John's original vocals on Real Love/Free As A Bird are CRUCIAL. That's the whole point of the project, man. Why would Paul, George, and Ringo just re-work the whole song without John being there? It's JOHN'S song. At the time, the remaining Lads said that when they were recording the songs, it felt like The Beatles all over again. Because John's vocals were right in the headphones. Like he was right there. Anyway, my point is, they tackled the project just like they were The Beatles again. They took John's track and added to it. If they were to completely redo it, that would have defeated the whole purpose.
Ram1

Postby Ram1 » Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:12 am

Not only that, but how can you have any problems with Real Love/Free As A Bird? I think both are AMAZING songs. And the recordings sound good to me. Especially given the fact that John's tracks were demo recordings.
Ram1

PreviousNext

Return to GEORGE