Jeff Lynne on George's new album

Discussions related to George Harrison as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Aujouret » Sun Oct 20, 2002 4:43 pm

Has anyone checked out George's website recently.
It's been updated with good stuff on George's new album, Brainwashed.
Anyway, there is an article there to read on The Making of the new album.
In the article Jeff Lynne (the producer) talks about the new songs on the album. He said that George wanted the songs to "not be posh, like demos."
Jeff Lynne says that is not what he did with them. i.e. added strings, etc. He says the songs are great and he wanted them to sound better than that.
I was just taken aback. I am surprized that Jeff wouldn't have followed George's wishes. What's wrong with "demos" anyway? I love them and their simplicity of quality. I know that George didn't want any reverb, so I hope there isn't any of that!
I'm sure that Jeff feels that he did the right thing, but I don't see why he wouldn't do as George wanted.
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Aujouret » Sun Oct 20, 2002 4:43 pm

Has anyone checked out George's website recently.
It's been updated with good stuff on George's new album, Brainwashed.
Anyway, there is an article there to read on The Making of the new album.
In the article Jeff Lynne (the producer) talks about the new songs on the album. He said that George wanted the songs to "not be posh, like demos."
Jeff Lynne says that is not what he did with them. i.e. added strings, etc. He says the songs are great and he wanted them to sound better than that.
I was just taken aback. I am surprized that Jeff wouldn't have followed George's wishes. What's wrong with "demos" anyway? I love them and their simplicity of quality. I know that George didn't want any reverb, so I hope there isn't any of that!
I'm sure that Jeff feels that he did the right thing, but I don't see why he wouldn't do as George wanted.
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Steve-o » Sun Oct 20, 2002 4:46 pm

Lynne wouldn't know what to do without having to pour that damn ELO sound on. I hope he didnt ruin it. Too bad.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Liam OSM » Mon Oct 21, 2002 7:35 am

We might never know really unless we hear them both ways. As for "pouring that damn ELO sound" . . . don't get me started.
Liam OSM
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby Steve-o » Mon Oct 21, 2002 9:32 am

quote:Originally posted by Liam OSM
We might never know really unless we hear them both ways. As for "pouring that damn ELO sound" . . . don't get me started.
OSM...we are entitled to our own opinions. Go ahead and get started, if you'd like. Won't change my opinion on him. Paul is the only one who really tamed the guy.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Wings » Mon Oct 21, 2002 1:29 pm

They all sound like the Wilbury recordings. Everything Jeff touched. Listen to "Cheer Down", Tom Petty album "Full Moon Fever", "Flaming Pie". I even have a solo album by Cheap Trick front man Robin Zanders. Jeff touched that and it has that sound.
Wings

Postby Steve-o » Mon Oct 21, 2002 2:34 pm

Right Wings. I was just saying that Pual scaled it down a bit. I have to say Petty's FMF has a more likable JL influence for me. Far more likeable than the TW albums. Cheer Down was pure ELO, for sure.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Brains » Mon Oct 21, 2002 3:52 pm

The Beatles' reunion songs, Free As A Bird and Real Love aren't Lynnish.

Anyway, I too am shocked that Lynne didn't follow George's wishes... I agree with him that demos are a bit too rough, but after all, they're George's songs, he should have the last say in it. Especially now he's dead, you can't go and change his work.
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Steve-o » Mon Oct 21, 2002 3:56 pm

Parts of Real Love are JL'ish , to me, but only a bit. During the chorus--the music behind "It's real love, It's reeeaaaaallll"...but only a bit. I think jeff must be afraid of Macca. [:D]
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Wings » Mon Oct 21, 2002 6:13 pm

I read that George's Son was with JL while they were mixing the album. So if his Son is not upset hopefully he kept it true and did justice to Georges music.I guess we will all talk about this once the album is out. Then let the fighting begin. All in fun of course. "REST IN PEACE GEORGE"
Wings

Next

Return to GEORGE