Live In Japan

Discussions related to George Harrison as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Berkeleyan » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:31 am

In general the critics thought that "live in Japan" was too slick and without emotion, like the band was really going thru' the motions. So the band sounded the same way on almost every track performed, I guess, thus decharacterizing the "Harrisongs" for what they are.

Still according to them the slickness of Eric's band (and Slowhand himself) kind of took the edge and emotion off most songs (with a few exceptions, such as "Dark Horse" - much better than the "hoarse" version off George's self titled album - and "Something" - with a great new intro).
The Love You Take is Equal to the Love You Make
Berkeleyan
Gold member :)

Postby james1985 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:46 am

Berkeleyan wrote:In general the critics thought that "live in Japan" was too slick and without emotion, like the band was really going thru' the motions. So the band sounded the same way on almost every track performed, I guess, thus decharacterizing the "Harrisongs" for what they are.

Still according to them the slickness of Eric's band (and Slowhand himself) kind of took the edge and emotion off most songs (with a few exceptions, such as "Dark Horse" - much better than the "hoarse" version off George's self titled album - and "Something" - with a great new intro).

I agree, George doesn't really seem up for performing live at all. He's far more passionate about his performance on the Bangladesh album IMO
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:47 am

Berkeleyan wrote:In general the critics thought that "live in Japan" was too slick and without emotion, like the band was really going thru' the motions. So the band sounded the same way on almost every track performed, I guess, thus decharacterizing the "Harrisongs" for what they are.

I agree, George doesn't really seem up for performing live at all. He's far more passionate about his performance on the Bangladesh album IMO
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Lazarus_2 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:06 pm

Steve-o wrote:quote:Originally posted by Thomas
I like it

Yeah, Thomas...I remember the last time this came up. I was alone on this one. I tried it again a few weeks ago, and had the same reaction. Maybe it's just me---probably is. I'll ask my shrink, LOL.
George didn't even really want to be there, Eric Clapton dragged him out there...
I either read it somewhere, or heard it on audio somewhere..

p.s: Paul at LiveAid '85 was the sorryest thing i've ever seen a beatle do live.
youtube.com/kinnarchimedes
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Berkeleyan » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:19 am

Eric thought that making George go onstage after 17 years (!) would do him good. I think George thought so too, after the gigs. Eris said the whole gig-thing in Japan was risk-free (the public should behave themselves ansd show respect and adoration for a Beatle - any Beatle). George was afraid of negative reactions.

Further, Eric needed the gig - to get his mind off his then recently deceased son. George understood that.
The Love You Take is Equal to the Love You Make
Berkeleyan

Previous

Return to GEORGE