Live In Japan

Discussions related to George Harrison as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Maestri09 » Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:32 pm

by the way, I know there are bootlegs around of the concert. I was gonna get it, but I decided on other stuff (including "wings over the world" '77)
Maestri09
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Berkeleyan » Thu Oct 09, 2003 7:03 am

Right. I got one such bootleg in ´93("live at ´whatsthename castle", cost me about $ 15) from a guy from Jersey (Dave Stein) who´s got an incredible catalog. The video contains the whole concert. The image quality is pretty bad in the first 20 min then it gets decent. Likewise regarding sound quality.

I agree w/ people who want George videos and such regardless of the sound/image/execution quality. There´s so few videos of him playing -I treasure the ones I got.
Berkeleyan
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby admiralvanderbilt » Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:46 am

Live In Japan rereleased and remastered on SACD at the end of Feb....
admiralvanderbilt
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby admiralvanderbilt » Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:03 am

Actually, checking Amazon, looks like the reissues of much of the back catalogue are coming end Feb / early March...
admiralvanderbilt
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Steve-o » Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:55 am

quote:Originally posted by admiralvanderbilt
Live In Japan rereleased and remastered on SACD at the end of Feb....
I'm all for most of the catalogue being remastered, but not this dud. I guess it's good to have it all available to those who want it, but.....YIKES!!!
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:46 am

I've got to agree with Steve on this. I'll probably buy the remaster because it's one of very few live documents we have of George. I just think the band sounds FLAT. It almost sounds anaemic in places. There's life and vitality in ALL of Paul's live albums. I just don't think George's heart was into this tour. Eric Clapton even said that years later. I don't think George's heart was into hardly anything of this earth the last 30 years or so of his life. That's just the choice he made.
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Steve-o » Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:04 am

Good points, MTM. Well said. I don't think George liked solo touring, and it certainly shows. His vocals and the band musically just act like they are going thur the motions. Maybe he does suffer in comparison with the awesome vitality of Macca at ALL points of his career. A true showman....
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby 2 of 3 » Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:02 pm

I'm not trying to start anything here, but Macca's boots that aren't overdubbed don't sound so great either at times...I think as the show went on, Harrisons voice got stronger and it sounds pretty good. I don't think is was the band so much as Jeff Lynn's production that makes it sound flat. It's not a great album, but not anywhere near as bad as you make it out to be Steve-o.[:I]
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Steve-o » Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:47 pm

quote:Originally posted by 2 of 3
I'm not trying to start anything here, but Macca's boots that aren't overdubbed don't sound so great either at times...I think as the show went on, Harrisons voice got stronger and it sounds pretty good. I don't think is was the band so much as Jeff Lynn's production that makes it sound flat. It's not a great album, but not anywhere near as bad as you make it out to be Steve-o.[:I]
To each his own, .667. [:D] I also have boots where the sound on some of the macca songs is better than on BITUS. For me, it's not so much the production, but the flat nature of the band's playing and Hari's singing. I don't think he was ever that comfortable on stage, to be honest.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Bluebird » Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:01 am

Good version of here comes the sun and something! :)
You must appreciate the day...
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

PreviousNext

Return to GEORGE