Extra Texture

Discussions related to George Harrison as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Extra Texture

Postby ElectricKeithery » Tue Sep 24, 2002 3:23 pm

This is a strange little album. It starts of strongly, tails off, and ends with a tribute to Legs from Bonzo Dog Band (I mean, why?). What does everyone else think?

Keith
ElectricKeithery

Extra Texture

Postby ElectricKeithery » Tue Sep 24, 2002 3:23 pm

This is a strange little album. It starts of strongly, tails off, and ends with a tribute to Legs from Bonzo Dog Band (I mean, why?). What does everyone else think?

Keith
ElectricKeithery

Postby Gastro (gone) » Thu Mar 13, 2003 11:54 pm

I think its worth it for Can't Stop Thinking About You and Tired of Midnight Blue.I think they're excellent songs.I quite like this album although its not a classic by any means but it has a nice laid back feel to it. Not as bad as I expected based on the reviews that I read beforehand.
Gastro (gone)

Postby Steve-o » Fri Mar 14, 2003 12:10 am

I have to say that it's one of many of George's below standard mid-70's efforts.....Dark Horse is worse, but this one doesnt measure up to his alltime best: ATMP, George harrison, Somehwere in England and of course, Brainwashed.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Gastro (gone) » Mon Mar 17, 2003 11:10 pm

I disagree with the allusion that George had " many below standard albums in the 70's". Sure DH and ET weren't his best but overall I think his solo albums were better than John's and he was more consistent than Paul although Paul was way more successful than everyone else put together. What I mean by that is that I think George had less bad albums than the other Beatles.
Gastro (gone)

Postby Steve-o » Mon Mar 17, 2003 11:27 pm

Well, Gastro, to each his own. Mid-70's was not GH's best period by a long shot. IMO, after ATMP, there was a LONG 4+ year dry spell. No illusion. Living In The Material World...Dark Horse....Extra Texture.... All 3 well below standard. Then came some good moments on 33 1/3. Later, The Self titled George Harrison, which was also pretty good. GOne Troppo was an 80's barker, but Somewhere in England and Cloud Nine were VERY good. I think his best was, sadly, his last. Better than John's? More consistant than Paul's? I just can't see it. Not even close.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby theDingle » Mon Mar 17, 2003 11:45 pm

True, to each his own, stevew628. Some of George's albums stroke me different than they do you.

I did think ET was lame. The You cut was OK, but that's all I can say.

I thought LITMW and 33 1/3 were very good, and I actually enjoyed a lot of DH. One of my favorite songs on DH is Far East Man. I liked it for his "hoarse voice" period, too, LOL.

For me Gone Troppo, Cloud Nine and the '79 S/T were excellent, I like them better than Somewhere In England.
theDingle
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby Steve-o » Tue Mar 18, 2003 8:00 am

It was a frustrating period for me. I went out and bought each one as they came out, but was very disappionted most of the time. A good cut or two, but some of those started out very well and kind of fizzled, musically. Opinions and likes/dislikes make the world go round!! [:D]
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Gastro (gone) » Thu Mar 20, 2003 1:24 am

I know what you mean about being disappointed but you must have been equally disappointed when you heard Wild Life, Red Rose Speedway, Mind Games and SINYC. They weren't strong albums either although some fans seem to enjoy them so good luck to them.

I was disappointed with McCartney II, Pipes of Peace, Press To Play and Off the Ground. You could tell the brilliance was there on some of the songs but its like Paul didn't want to be brilliant from start to finish of an album but prove that he was just and ordinary guy by including mundane songs on his albums. Once he accepts that he is an extraordinary guy you get Flaming Pie and Driving Rain.

If George had a better voice his albums would have turned out even better. BTW, I think Living In the Material World is much better than Somewhere in England, in fact I prefer Gone Troppo to SIE.
Gastro (gone)

Postby Steve-o » Thu Mar 20, 2003 8:46 am

quote:Originally posted by Gastro Boy
I know what you mean about being disappointed but you must have been equally disappointed when you heard Wild Life, Red Rose Speedway, Mind Games and SINYC. .
Yes..I was disappointed in Wild Life and RRS. But---those two were FAR BETTER than anything George was putting out at the time. Macca's bar is MUCH higher than george's ever was, as far as expectations. There is no comparison in singing voice, live performances and song writing ability. As far as John, I really never cared for those two you mentioned, but I also didn't expect much from him after Imagine. He seemed to dry up. To each his own gastro. Gone Troppo? LOL.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to GEORGE