All Things Must Pass

Discussions related to George Harrison as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Man Tissa » Mon Dec 02, 2002 10:05 pm

quote:Originally posted by DylansMrJones
Also, I can see why George had two versions of Isn't It A Pity on ATMP. Both versions are great. I'm just guessing really, but I think we got two versions of IIAP because George couldn't choose between them. I like version 2 a little more. The harmonies, the arrangement and the backing vocals resulted in a recording that would not sound out of place had it been released that way on ABBEY ROAD.

ATMP is arguably the best solo album by a Beatle... the production does sound abit dated now but the songs have stood the test of time.
Man Tissa

Postby Liam OSM » Tue Dec 03, 2002 11:24 am

I certainly rate it up there as a good'un, but I don't think it's the best. Imagine and POB from John, and about half a dozen of Paul's, are much better. IMHO.

I did have another listen to "Ringo" last night - enjoyed it.
Liam OSM
Gold member :)

Postby Man Tissa » Tue Dec 03, 2002 5:15 pm

quote:Originally posted by Liam OSM
I certainly rate it up there as a good'un, but I don't think it's the best. Imagine and POB from John, and about half a dozen of Paul's, are much better. IMHO.

I did have another listen to "Ringo" last night - enjoyed it.

I like POB and I rate it as a classic but Imagine is a notch or two down... songs like It's So Hard and How? don't grab me as much as all the songs on POB... which one's of Paul's do you rate as classics?
Ringo is a fine record too...a fun piece to listen to...
Man Tissa

Postby Brains » Wed Dec 04, 2002 10:53 am

ATMP does sound very bad. It's very unclear, especially when you compare it to Abbey Road or Imagine or even POB and McCartney. Does the 2000 remastered version sound better?
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Liam OSM » Wed Dec 04, 2002 11:48 am

I have never heard the original issue, but I have the 2000 remaster, and that sounds pretty good. It did take a little while to grow on me, mind . . .
Liam OSM

Postby Man Tissa » Wed Dec 04, 2002 5:52 pm

I baulked at buying the remaster because it was $54.95 Australian dollars which is about 19 pounds or $28 US .... couldn't justify that much money for 4 new songs....
Man Tissa

Postby Chris Speers » Wed Dec 04, 2002 6:52 pm

There is a bootleg on "All Things must pass" that contains the raw backing tracks to the album and it's hot. You should hear George soar on "What is life" - It beats the strings, the Spector like sound on some of the tracks. The raw backing track of Klaus Voorman and Ringo playing on "Let it down" is totally awe-inspiring. George's guitar playing was en fuego on this album - he was a man possessed. Clapton is on a lot of tracks from what i read and just wasn't credited - i know that's Clapton on "Id have you anytime"
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby DylansMrJones » Tue Feb 25, 2003 8:57 am

I suggest buying the "new remastered" ATMP, and give your old one to someone who SHOULD have it. Maybe even donate it to the public library.

The remastered version is still faithful to the Spector production, but it seems less muffled to me than the 1st ATMP cd release. And you must have it to see the variations on the original cover.
DylansMrJones

Postby Aujouret » Tue Feb 25, 2003 2:06 pm

I have to agree with you, Mr. Jones.
I prefer the 2000 far and away over the original.
I imagine George does as well.[:)]
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

Postby dsnito » Sat Mar 01, 2003 10:00 am

The remastered version maybe great, but I´d NEVER give my original ATMP triple vinyl to anyone, ´cos it´s a relic, a treasure for me.

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

PreviousNext

Return to GEORGE