The Concert For George

Discussions related to George Harrison as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby chris » Tue May 30, 2006 8:37 pm

2 of 3 wrote:I feel a bit sad after seeing this. Very nice, and stuff I'd never seen before.

I remember seeing that live, as it happened. it was on Saturday Night Live, both Paul simon and George Harrison thought they were supposed to be the musical guest. Producer Lorne Michaels had to explain to then that only one can go on. Okay...maybe not so funny now, the way I tell it, but I assure you that it was a real laugh riot when it happened.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby 2 of 3 » Tue May 30, 2006 8:51 pm

Was that the show where Lorne Micheals offered the Beatles 1000 bucks to do the show? When George asked for the thousand, Micheals said the grand was for all 4, and gave George a check for $250. George saying, Well, that's a bit chintzy! :lol:
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby chris » Tue May 30, 2006 9:02 pm

Might have been...ah, the good old days, huh?
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Lbell » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:51 pm

I recently re-rented the DVD of Concert For George. I've rented it before, seen it on PBS, and probably watched it at least 20 times now. The bonus CD is great too! I have to say it's one of the best live music experiences ever captured on camera. To begin with the Indian music with Ravi Shankar is beautiful. His daughter Anoushka is stunning and the first act really sets the mood.
Eric Clapton gives some very serious performances on this. If you look at his face you can see the intense energy he puts into his performances. I love Tom Petty doing Taxman because he really lays on the nasal quality and sounds like a true villan, which is perfect for the song. Billy Preston doing My Sweet Lord, how great for him to do that song. Didn't George write it for him? I know Billy recorded it. Jeff Lynne does a great version of Give Me Love. Oh and Something starting with Sir Paul on acoustic ukelele and then transitioning to full band, Phenomenal. With George's son Dhani up there this is one of my favorite DVDs of all time. Also, a wonderful version of Wah Wah. I can't say enough good things about this concert. If you've only seen it once or twice, or three times, etc..etc... Indulge yourself again. It's so worth it.
I didn't mean to sound like a commercial here. Just wanted to put my opinion in writing where I know those who agree with me are.
Lbell

Re: The Concert For George

Postby mommasturn » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:28 pm

Okay I know this was an old thread, but I am a newbie and thought it best to look up what has already been said before starting new. I just recently watched this for the first time. WOW I must say it makes me want to go to a concert today.

That percussion is amazing! RAY COOPER is he real? I remember seeing him in concert years ago. Again WOW! :!:

I never got real into george's music before. I have the wah wah song stuck in my head now. The emotion in that song was just incredible. Jeff Lynne was really belting it out. Loved it! Man i have missed so much. I hope to watch it again in the next few weeks.

It is such a shame people wait till someone passes to celebrate and honor them. I think I will try to celebrate life with someone everyday. Time is too short.
mommasturn

Previous

Return to GEORGE