The Concert For George

Discussions related to George Harrison as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

The Concert For George

Postby chris » Mon May 29, 2006 7:10 pm

I have just seen this most amazing tribute concert for George Harrison. I feel like I've just rediscovered the man and the musician. It was directed, masterfully, by one Eric Clapton. It included legends such as Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (whom, by the way, I have just annointed the Greatest American rock and roll band of all time). Billy Preston and Jeff Lynne were fantastic.

One tends to take for granted the lives we affect. This was a tribute to a man who, along the way, made many friends, and touched many lives. George was a fantastic songwriter, who often gets overlooked because John and Paul were in his band. But the band thrown together to do this concert obviously had deep feelings for George. It was an incredibly heartfelt performance for a special friend. if you haven't seen it, do yourself a favor and rent it immediately.

Standing front and center, all concert long, was George's son Dhani, who looked like a 1966 replica of George himself. It nearly gave me goosebumps to watch. With Eric Clapton as musical director, he'd play a song or two with the house band. Then introduce another musician, then another. The band just got larger and larger. With Ringo and Paul, obviously the last to join in. A splendid time is most assuredly guaranteed for all.

I think if George was never in the Beatles, he would have made a name for himself in the music business. He was talented enough to front his own band. He, again, was a masterful songwriter. And an underappreciated guitarist. I don't think he really ever covetted fame though. It makes me sad to think we wont be hearing anything new from him again. Maybe we should be grateful for what we have.

Where in the world is my All Things Must Pass album?
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Mon May 29, 2006 7:14 pm

Three words, people:

I. Was. There.

Was one of the most incredible nights of my life. Paul and Ringo on stage together was just magic, especially with Dahni and Eric Clapton as well. My favourite moment is when Ringo introduces Paul and the roof simply goes off the place. And Joe Brown's finale always gets me quite emotional. The DVD and CD are both well worth purchasing. A great reminder of what fantastic music George made
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby chris » Mon May 29, 2006 7:18 pm

James, good buddy, I cant be more envious. For obvious reasons, you get a sense of what it was like to be there on dvd. But to have seen it, to have heard the thunderous applause, to be able to think back and remember it...I bow to you sire, with absolute envy and respect.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Laura » Mon May 29, 2006 7:45 pm

I have the cd its great filled with all of Georges great songs.
Laura
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Cologne girl » Mon May 29, 2006 8:05 pm

james1985 wrote:Three words, people:

I. Was. There.

Lucky you!! For me it was one of the greatest live events I had ever seen on video or DVD. As someone said on some other thread, I wish George had seen how people really appreciate him, it's almost a shame he had to die for this to happen :cry:
It's the start of a journey
To a much better place
And this wasn't bad
So a much better place
Would have to be special...
Cologne girl
Supporter
Supporter

Postby 2 of 3 » Mon May 29, 2006 8:42 pm

Yeah, I wish that they would get Paul, Ringo and George Martin together for a tribute now, rather than later.
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby chris » Mon May 29, 2006 10:05 pm

I'd like to see that too, but for some reason, I don't think its going to happen. I'd like to think that working with Ringo would make Paul happy in a time of...needing to be happy.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby 2 of 3 » Mon May 29, 2006 10:44 pm

I feel a bit sad after seeing this. Very nice, and stuff I'd never seen before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WG0Noyi ... arrison%20
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby EddieV » Tue May 30, 2006 3:22 am

Great video 2 of 3!!! Never seen this before.
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby theDingle » Tue May 30, 2006 6:08 pm

"james1985" said:

....And Joe Brown's finale always gets me quite emotional...
---------------------------------------

That was a great way to wind up the tribute and a highlight in itself, love it. 8)
not shmingking of gin
theDingle
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Next

Return to GEORGE