What do you think??

Discussions related to George Harrison as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

What do you think??

Postby Beatlegirl61 » Fri May 26, 2006 2:11 pm

:o

I really feel that "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" should have been an 'A' side...I wonder if it's because Eric Clapton played on the record that it WASN'T an 'A' side? What are your thoughts on that? I am curious to see what George fans think?
I was also distraught about "All Things Must Pass" not being on one of the final Beatles album...UGH!! (Let it be or Abbey Road)
But that's Ok...Cuz' we got to hear it on the ever so great
"All Things Must Pass" LP during the time it came out...

So hooray for George after all!! :roll:

I still feel that 'WMGGW' should have been an 'A' side...

Please share your thoughts and leave a note?? :idea:

"Withought looking out of my window..."
Beatlegirl61
Supporter
Supporter

Postby EddieV » Fri May 26, 2006 2:24 pm

Hey Beatlegirl61

Probably John and Paul, didn´t recognize what a great song George had written. I think it was very hard to be George in the Beatles. What I have heard and read is that there only was a certain amount of time when they were recording Georges songs. One of the thing I don´t understand is why Not Guilty never was released by the Beatles (on The Anthology). That is such a great song. Maybe John and Paul didn´t have the patience when it came to George.

Yes All Things Muss Pass is an incredible album. Many songs form this album was tries out by Beatles but rejected. Well must have been hard to be the third wheel!!
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby EddieV » Fri May 26, 2006 2:24 pm

Hey Beatlegirl61

Probably John and Paul, didn´t recognize what a great song George had written. I think it was very hard to be George in the Beatles. What I have heard and read is that there only was a certain amount of time when they were recording Georges songs. One of the thing I don´t understand is why Not Guilty never was released by the Beatles (on The Anthology). That is such a great song. Maybe John and Paul didn´t have the patience when it came to George.

Yes All Things Muss Pass is an incredible album. Many songs form this album was tries out by Beatles but rejected. Well must have been hard to be the third wheel!!
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

What do you think?

Postby Beatlegirl61 » Fri May 26, 2006 7:47 pm

Thanks for your replies Eddie! And yeah...I often wondered about "Not Guilty" myself...maybe the others thought it was a 'dig'? Or like you said...They just didn't have the time for George...What a shame...such a waste of talent...I am still a huge 'George fan" and will carry his cross as long as I can!!
Keep rockin' and see ya again sometime in the forums...
I am new here and just starting to 'dive in'!! lol's

:roll:

"Without looking out of your window..."
Beatlegirl61
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Cologne girl » Fri May 26, 2006 8:28 pm

I love "While My Guitar..." too - it's one of my favourites of the songs given to the Beatles by George, along with "Here Comes the Sun" and "Something". His own version on the "Live in Japan" album is great too - when he launches into the song, it always gives me the goosebumps. And Eric Clapton's version at the "Concert for George" was just AWESOME.

Now that said, about it being an A-side I just don't know. I suppose singles were chosen for their commercial potential - and as I was a little kid in the 60s, I don't know enough to be able to say if it would have been a HUGE hit like all the other Beatles singles.

But on the whole, I agree - it must have been extremely tough being "third" to John and Paul. Even George Martin recognized that he had sometimes underrated his talent. Not only were John and Paul excellent songwriters and had quite "big egos", George himself was not exactly good at "promoting" himself - after all, he was "The Quiet One".

He more than made up for it with the release of "All Things Must Pass", "Cloud Nine" and "Brainwashed", all three of them deserving of the titles of "real classics" in my opinion, right up there with the best of John and Paul solo.
It's the start of a journey
To a much better place
And this wasn't bad
So a much better place
Would have to be special...
Cologne girl
Supporter
Supporter

Postby theDingle » Fri May 26, 2006 10:53 pm

I don't know how many times I've read opinions that Beatle George "really" or "finally" blossomed on Abbey Road, but I've always felt that George's WHITE ALBUM songs were as good as any of John & Paul's.

:? But....Beatlegirl61, don't you mean IF? WMGGW was neither released as an A or B side---There were no singles released from THE WHITE ALBUM--only the rockin' out version of Revolution as opposed to the doo-wop version.
not shmingking of gin
theDingle
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

What do you think??

Postby Beatlegirl61 » Sat May 27, 2006 5:46 pm

Yeah...I understand the whole thing about The White Album songs...But just think...That song would have made a great second single off the album? HUH? Just maybe...lol's :?

I really enjoyed the George 'influence' on The White Album even more than Abbey Road ....

"Without looking out of my window..."

8)
Beatlegirl61
Supporter
Supporter

Return to GEORGE