Alan Clayson's bio on George

Discussions related to George Harrison as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Alan Clayson's bio on George

Postby theDingle » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:06 pm

I'm halfway through this one. As I posted regarding his bio on Ringo, more of the same unique writing style, which I've gotten to like, lol. Apparently he did a book entitled Backbeat in the 90s that was a tie-in to the movie, which IMO is the best among the Beatle-bio pics.

What I also like about Clayson is his no-agenda approach. He's not bashing nor elevating, he's just relating. He's seems really adept in communicating a perspective in the context of the times with a very British feel. As with the Ringo bio, he got no personal interviews with George, but did interview his sister Louise, she even has her own appendix in the back.

One of the interesting accounts is the one where George visited his sister in Illinois in the Fall of '63 before the Feb '64 Ed Sullivan appearance. Louise introduced him to a local rock band that he jammed with on stage. They liked him--thought his long hair was a bit wild---were surprised at his preference to bang out Hank Williams' songs, lol. Once the Beatles conquered America, they couldn't believe their good fortune in having gotten to meet him before he was superBIG!!! :shock: :lol:
not shmingking of gin
theDingle
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby mi » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:59 am

I read somewhere that when his sister came to meet him at the hotel the guards didn't want to let her in, at first, thinking she was just another fan...she said "I'm going to meet my brother" and they just told her: "Do you had any idea how many times it had been tried today?" :lol:
(Geoffrey Giulliano, "Blackbird"),
mi
Silver member
Silver member

Return to GEORGE