Material World

Discussions related to George Harrison as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby dsnito » Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:40 am

We can see Robert Plant, Ozzy, Mick/Keith from the Stones, they had a relative success after getting out or doing solo works apart from the respective bands but never in the same level... And Jamie, I think you're right when you said that the Harrison's creative peak was yet in The Beatles time(Something, Here Come The Sun, Savoy Truffle, Old Brown Shoe, some of ATMP songs, etc.)and I'd add that extended until circa 73~74 the Dark Horse period, declining amazingly since then.

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby jamie » Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:08 am

george fans are right to harp on about 'ATMP' its a legendary album but lets leave out 'Ram' and 'wildlife'for a second. Take 'McCartney' this for me is the greatest solo album of any beatle - given the album's back-drop of beatles and personal turmoil for macca . Is ATMP better than 'McCartney'? not a chance , George had it easy in my opinion. Harrison's best solo work was over by the early 1970's (jeff lynne wasn't even a glint in his eye then ).
jamie
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Mike » Tue Jun 17, 2003 12:19 pm

The fact alone, that McCartney didn't simply continue writing songs as a Beatle was that he did. Every song was treated differently and new techniques were always tried to stretch his ability.

It is very obvious not only from one observing but to read his own words that he tried very hard not to just copy the Beatles style. He did indeed achieve this. Each album and even most songs on albums vary so much cuz that's the way he does things.

Ok, been there, done that, now what haven't I done. Just glad he didn't do a rap album.

I'd fail to see any of the other acts he is being compared to compose, produce and perform to the quality of musicianship and production innovations Paul has shown us. Understandibly he can't and doesn't take all the credit, sound engineers and co-producers deserve it too.
Mike
Gold member :)

Postby jamie » Tue Jun 17, 2003 4:00 pm

sorry for drifting off the thread everyone ! but at the end of the day everyone sees it differently. for me macca's solo work is head and shoulders above the others !
jamie
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Steve-o » Tue Jun 17, 2003 4:13 pm

quote:Originally posted by jamie
for me macca's solo work is head and shoulders above the others !
WAD...Totally agree...and you really shouldn't have to tell anyone "WHY?"...we just do. [:D]
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby dsnito » Tue Jun 17, 2003 4:42 pm

Shhhh...Steve, Jamie...I feel that Gastro's coming around...[xx(]
[:D][:D][:D]

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Gastro (gone) » Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:34 pm

Point taken Mike.. it's your website and you can do what you want.
Gastro (gone)

Postby dsnito » Sun Jun 22, 2003 7:29 am

quote:Originally posted by Mike

Ok, been there, done that, now what haven't I done. Just glad he didn't do a rap album.

I'd fail to see any of the other acts he is being compared to compose, produce and perform to the quality of musicianship and production innovations Paul has shown us. Understandibly he can't and doesn't take all the credit, sound engineers and co-producers deserve it too.

Well, I don´t like rap music, but if Paul was proposed to do it, certainly would be well done by him.

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby theDingle » Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:34 pm

Sho' nuff love that slide guitar on Give Me Love, and throughout this whole album George's slide playing is frickin' untouchable (Well, perhaps I should say he and Duane Allman are the undisputed co-slide-kings, lol). But his slide licks are pure enjoyment every whit. Give Me Love was only #1 for a week, ending Macca's 4-week #1 reign with My Love, but I have to say I like George's tune better (talk about competition, they both kept Elton John's Daniel from reaching #1, one of EJ's masterpieces! :shock: )

The one criticism I sort of have with LITMW, and I hesitate to say it, but some of his vocals are a bit too emo-weepy. Moreso on this album than any of his others. These are on the slower, sweeter tunes o' course, which I otherwise like a lot. Though he can be a bit preachy in his lyrics, thats never really put me off about him like it has some folks.

As to my favorites, Don't Let Me Wait Too Long is another uptempo tune that IMO had hit potential. Who Can See It opens with that great Beatle-y guitar-through-a-leslie sound. That's another great thing with his tunes on this whole album, they have all these great intros. The title cut has some great changes in it and great drumming, sounds like Ringo but it could also be Jim Keltner or both even I suppose.

Be Here Now starts out sounding almost like Amazing Grace. For this one and That Is All, I can just imagine them being given a John&Paul harmony treatment, like something off Abbey Road, but they're still great tunes as they stand. Try Some Buy Some is a bigger production number that I also enjoy.

For me, this one ranks equal with ATMP. 8)
not shmingking of gin
theDingle

Postby theDingle » Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:49 pm

Sue You Sue Me Blues also has some great drumming on it too, not to mention the preimminent slide zippaboolas! 8)
not shmingking of gin
theDingle

PreviousNext

Return to GEORGE