Material World

Discussions related to George Harrison as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby jamie » Mon Jun 16, 2003 10:08 am

macca's early stuff may not be as powerful as George's but its defo more accessible ! i listen to 'Ram' and 'wildlife' a lot more than 'ATMP' - 'Cloud 9' and 'brainwashed' are George's most accessible albums i reckon !
jamie
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby dsnito » Mon Jun 16, 2003 5:55 pm

"33 and 1/3" is not that bad too...George's lyrics manytimes make you think(Gas may like this...LOL)about spiritual aspects and criticism on human behaviour...but it doesn't mean that he ALWAYS wrote such deepest meanings in his lyrics, but almost ever those were based on his own experience and observations(with a bit of sarcasm and irony as much as John)...George said once that he didn't know how Paul could write stuffs from "nothing"; he meant he wondered how Paul has a capacity to catch songs "from the air" or whatever, and make those with no meanings, at least not to him... well, maybe some lyrics don't make sense, but most have amazing tunes.

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Gastro (gone) » Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:25 pm

Stevo the Devo !!! Maybe I'm Amazed is a great song. I love the original more than any live version but What Is Life? and All Things Must Pass are just as good. It's not about changing my mind because you're right, you won't be able to, it's about wanting to know why you think some average Macca stuff is so good. I'm a Macca fan too but over time I can tell the difference between his good stuff and his truly awful stuff and unlike some people I'm not afraid to admit it. RRS and Wild Life combined would still fail to make a decent album, that's a funny statement to make.

Have you read a book called The Beatles an Illustrated Record by Roy Carr and Tony Tyler? They are very critical of Paul's early career and they even question the excellence of BOTR a few years later. What they are actually criticising is how the man that wrote songs like yesterday and hey jude etc.. could then come out with songs like the one's you hear on RAM, Wild Life and RRS. McCartney hardly rates a mention as it is considered a throwaway album.They just think his music is pointless. Paul is not the only one who is savaged, John and George are also targets for their uneven output in the early - mid 70's but Paul cops the biggest hammering.

Now remember Is is He.... Jai Sri Krshna... [:D]
Gastro (gone)

Postby Steve-o » Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:25 pm

quote:Originally posted by Gastro Boy
Have you read a book called The Beatles an Illustrated Record by Roy Carr and Tony Tyler?
Yep--bought it in 1977. Since you are quoting them, you might want to read the reviews of ATMP and especially LITMW. Although they are not terribly complimentary of paul's efforts, they blast George pretty much also. I'm a huge Macca fan--you are a huge Hari fan. I'm sure we both disagree with alot of what they wrote about who we like the most. But hey--you brought up this book. Check out the reviews on DH and ET while you're at it. You'll probably not quote these guys anymore. [:D] And why do I think Macca 1 and Ram are so good? Simply because I like them for the awesome vocals and the great songs and the sound of both albums a great deal--have for 30+ years. I don't think I need any more reason that that. And I've said many times on here what songs I don't like from Macca.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby theDingle » Mon Jun 16, 2003 11:31 pm

I dunno about giving critics Carr and Tyler, or any other author, any weight just because they published a book. Usually a published critic is my criteria for NOT paying them any attention, lol!

Why? Because they can feign objectivity and be insincere just to be controversial and get attention. It's good for their job security. Sure, a critic can take a shot at the big guy, but what can THEY produce?---An opinion--big deal. A critic's opinion is no more important than mine. I'M the best critic for what I like, not somebody else.

If anyone wants to flame a Beatle for substandard efforts, it's allowed, I don't have a hangup about it. In some cases, even a Beatle might also agree. But even with their weaker songs in tow, they are head and shoulders above, they are in a class by themselves.

(...and an increasing applause gives way to shouts and a rising, deafening roar as Beatle fans the world over cry out in agreement...[^])
theDingle
Gold member :)

Postby Gastro (gone) » Tue Jun 17, 2003 2:52 am

Steve-o/Dingy the reason I brought up that book was to show that there are people that have the same view of Paul's patchy music. Sure they crap all over George too but you like what you like and I like what I like and I don't share their opinions on every thing either.

..but if you must know the truth I have lost alot of respect for Paul with the way he's carried on about John since the early 90's. I used to think he was a good guy but he's turned out to be jealous, pretentious and petty. Ringo came out and basically sided with Yoko on the credits dispute but there was no mention of it on this web site. I would expect a web site about Paul to be pro-Paul but it is biased to heavily towards Paul. Most of the people here are the same. It's all selective reporting and selective commentary.
Gastro (gone)

Postby Steve-o » Tue Jun 17, 2003 7:46 am

quote:Originally posted by Gastro Boy
there was no mention of it on this web site. I would expect a web site about Paul to be pro-Paul but it is biased to heavily towards Paul. Most of the people here are the same. It's all selective reporting and selective commentary.
I mentioned it the day it came out---you could look it up. And you know what they say about visiting somewhere that you don't like......
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mike » Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:07 am

Well Gastro, if you don't like it, leave please. Of course it's all selective reporting. If you want to read all the tabloid crap, go to the other fan sites. This isn't about free speech, it is about selective editing and selective content to fit the landscape I wish to portrait. I took a risk doing so but there are thousands of fans who gladly come each day to get some news and have a friendly place to mingle with other fans.

It's my site I own it and for now I sort of dictate the tone of this site. In a similar manner the owners of major newspapers dictate the tone of their newspapers. Luckily for me, a lot of people agree with the manner in which I attempt to keep the crap out. There are other sites who will publish any news item with the word McCartney in it. Each webmaster decides what they want their site to be, I just think the bulls**t an ex-spouse or childhood friend has to puke out is newsworthy and doesn't deserve the attention they get. I just feel very strongly about keep much of the tabloid crap off this site. I do apologize to the other webmasters if my blinded attitude insults them but I just honestly feel a fan site should be just that, a fan site.

By it's own definition a fan should like, or at least enjoy the music of Paul. If not, then what the hell or they doing here ? Bashing and continuous negativity just to stir up these forums won't be tolerated.
Mike

Postby dsnito » Tue Jun 17, 2003 8:56 am

Yeah Gas, if you don't like Macca or the things he does, that's alright, man...you have all the rights. But you don't have to be unkind with people here and all you've gotta do is simply avoid to enter in the forum. Show your point of view FRIENDLY(of course, I don't say you have to agree with everything)AS you've been doing SOMETIMES, and you'll always be welcome here.

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby jamie » Tue Jun 17, 2003 9:44 am

i can see where Gastro is coming from , the facts are that no one in pop history , at least over here , (apart from manafactured pop groups , before the robbie williams brigade get on my back ) has ever left a group and got better as a musician - most go down-hill. In saying that , i think its deeply unfair to compare macca's Ram stuff etc to the Beatles stuff . The fact is that if any of these songs were beatles songs , theyd be hailed as great songs ! It should also be remembered that most of George's ATMP was done while he was still in the Beatles - his creative peak ! Also there is this myth about George's great spiritual buddist music - For god's sake he virtually stopped doing this after the early 70's , apart from the odd chant with ravi shankar !
jamie
Bronze member
Bronze member

PreviousNext

Return to GEORGE