Material World

Discussions related to George Harrison as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby applescruff4hari » Mon Jan 20, 2003 3:37 am

George certainly wrote very meaningful music. His best work seemed to be the songs that inspired him the most. That would appear to be those on the subject of his deep spirituality and the peace he found in Lord Krishna and the more than 5000 year old Vaishnava Hindu "Hare Krishna" tradition of India. Albums such as "All Things Must Pass" and "Living in the Material World" went beyond the superficial and touched on deeper messages of who we are, who God is, and higher states of consciousness. His last hours were spent deep in chanting and his strength of conviction shouldn't be taken as something small. He was courageous, strong, and had no fear.
applescruff4hari

Postby Liam OSM » Wed Jan 22, 2003 9:03 am

quote:Originally posted by jet
quote:Originally posted by Liam OSM
I'll let you know what I think when I get it, then . . .
Liam, I don't know if you mean you are having trouble finding it, but if that is what you meant, I saw it on CD yesterday in HMV in Wakefield for £16.99. I notice from one of your other posts that you're living in the Sheffield area (I live just outside Leeds), so I thought maybe Wakefield's near enough for you to travel. Incidentally, they also had Dark Horse and Concert For Bangla Desh on CD too.

Nah, what I meant was that it's just rather expensive - I have ATMP, DH and Bw - but LITMW and ET are £17 each, which is a bit steep. I've seen it readily available in Sheffield, I just don't want to fork out that much for something.
Liam OSM
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby dsnito » Sun Jun 15, 2003 6:07 am

"Sue Me, Sue You Blues" is a cool tune but George wanted to refer about the Apple/Klein question, didn´t he(Gas must know it)??[:D]

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby jamie » Sun Jun 15, 2003 6:13 pm

maybe these re-releases will be a bit cheaper , like macca's mid-price stuff. hope so !
jamie
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Gastro (gone) » Sun Jun 15, 2003 7:38 pm

Living in the Material World is an awesome track.. which would've sounded cool if played live... The Lord Loves the One that Loves the Lord is also a phenomenal song although the lyrics are abit altruistic... really George's first two albums blew away John and Pau's efforts until Paul released BOTR...

Liam I recommend you don't buy ET... if you know someone that has it, borrow it and have a listen first.. there are 3-4 good songs on there but the rest will bore you... take my word for it... not for 17 pounds anyway..
Gastro (gone)

Postby Steve-o » Sun Jun 15, 2003 8:55 pm

quote:Originally posted by Gastro Boy
really George's first two albums blew away John and Pau's efforts until Paul released BOTR...Erm.....I had better not, lol. It's a hopeless argument at this point. [:D]
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Gastro (gone) » Sun Jun 15, 2003 10:09 pm

no it's not... it's a great argument... you need to get more specific when discussing... instead of saying RAM is awesome... let everyone know why you think that?... but come on really??? Long Haired Lady, Eat at Home????... Dear Boy?? 3Legs????.. Monkberry Moon Delight???... there's about 4-5 good songs on there but the rest is quite bland...
Gastro (gone)

Postby Steve-o » Sun Jun 15, 2003 11:23 pm

Hopeless in that you think what you think and I think what I think and never the two shall meet.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Gastro (gone) » Mon Jun 16, 2003 12:11 am

Dude you can't tell me Paul's first 4 solo albums can even be spoken in the same breath as ATMP and Material World... John's first two could... Paul didn't come out of his shell until BOTR... has the thought that Paul has been abit over rated in the early 70's ever entered your mind? you have to admit that on average aside from a few songs on those early albums his music was quite trivial...
Gastro (gone)

Postby Steve-o » Mon Jun 16, 2003 7:40 am

Gastro....Again: What you really think about the this topic doesn't really matter to me. You won't change your views, so why bother. You don't like Macca--you love Harrison or ANYONE else. You are a non-believer, and that's fine---but--this is a FAN site--I am a fan. But I'll try to shed some light into your dark cave that is obviously clouded with too much Hari Krishna karma.

ATMP would have made a great solo disc, had he cut out some of the filler--remember..it represented about 2-3 years of Beatle era GH penned songs--some great stuff, but it's kind of like bands that first get a break and have all this nice stuff stored up, and it's all on their first album..then POOF---their second album is so bad because they have dried up--their load has been shot---same with George here. McCartney, though purposely home-made, contains some great work as well--can you name any song on ATMP that even comes close to MIA? And don't spout My Sweet Lord---the Chiffones helped on that one [:D]. POB has some great stuff as well--but a little angry for my overall taste. I call that about a 3-way draw. I was very happy at the time--add in the Ringo single, It Dont Come Easy, and the solo Beatles were rocking.

Material World is not even in the same league with Ram and Imagine. Sorry--beginning of a long dry spell for Hari. It contains one listenable song. Ram and Imagine have about 8-9 each---I happen to like all of the songs you dismissed above. Had GH put Bangla Desh and Deep Blue on MW, it would have made it a bit better, but not by much. George would not have an album with more than 1-2 decent songs on it until 33 1/3. And that only had like 3. FF to Cloud Nine, or stay at the Krishna forum, dude.

As for Wild Life and RRS---would have made one decent album between the two. Lots of very weak moments. But either is STILL better than MW. Not even close.

Time for the inevitable angry spew by the scudster. I can't wait!!!
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to GEORGE