"Something" was George's song, I thought.

Discussions related to George Harrison as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

"Something" was George's song, I thought.

Postby John Fuhrman » Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:54 pm

During Paul's conert tribute to George he talked about going to Georges home and playing for him the song "Something" He then played it for the audience on the yuekele. I always thought George wrote that song. Did anyone else notice the way it was presented at the concert?
John Fuhrman

Postby james1985 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:00 pm

Yes, oh course Something was George's song. Everyone at the Concert For George played george songs. It was a tribute.

geez...
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby John Fuhrman » Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:45 pm

Maybe I didn't state my question clearly enough. I am referring to the concert tour Back in the US, in 2002. I saw the show and have the DVD and it is clear that Paul says that " I used to go around to Georges house and one night after dinner I played him this tune" Paul then proceeded to play "Something".

I know that George wrote the song and that the credit on the album has always been in his name and not Lennon/McCartney. Also, Frank Sinatra was corrected in print for singing "Something" and introducing it by saying that it was his favorite Lennon/McCartney song. The fans know it was a "George" song. But my question remains, why did Paul introduce the song the way he did?
John Fuhrman

Postby boog » Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:55 pm

I think what you are missing is that since Paul and John's songs always took precedence over George (and Ringo's) on albums, singles, etc., it was especially poignant for Paul to play one of George's songs to him. And, if you add in the rows that Paul and George used to get into - see Let It Be - the compliment is more powerful.

The implication is that Paul regards the song highly. As well he should, it's one of the Beatles' best, sometimes I think it is the best.
boog
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:19 pm

It's a gesture, a tribute. Paul played george "something" after dinner cos george loves the ukelele. George wrote it. Its about patty.
This is pretty basic Beatle stuff......
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby dsnito » Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:44 am

My goodness...OF COURSE "Something" is ABSOLUTELY George's song!!!
You misunderstood everything my friend...Paul didn't say that words was in the Beatle-time, but about recent meeting between them before George's death. Paul and George was just having fun together, and someday Paul wanted to pay tribute to George with ukelele playing his most known song!! And so he did it on that historical concert...and so he also did in his own US concert... got it now?? That fact only proofs Paul's greatness!!!
Life Is Very Short And There's No Time For Fussing And Fighting, My Friend...
Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Paul64 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:30 pm

There was nothing misleading about the way presented Something to the US audiences. During the story he tells, I think what he means when he tells us that he says to George "You know I do a song on the Uke" and then he plays Something for him, is kind of a little Liverpool humor btwn two friends. It's just a fun memory that he graciously shared with us as a tribute to George
We don't need anybody else to tell us what is real. Inside each one of us is love and we know how it feels.
Paul64

Postby dsnito » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:26 am

Yes, you're quite right. That was a typical british humor, but also a Paul's tribute to George. George ever had good sense of humor you know...
Life Is Very Short And There's No Time For Fussing And Fighting, My Friend...
Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Cologne girl » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:36 pm

The funny thing is, I raised the same issue some time ago; I had exactly the same impression when Macca introduced the song here in Cologne in 2003, and it almost caused me sleepless nights to think he could have been insinuating the song was not George's. People then helped me dispel my doubts, but I keep thinking the comment was a bit misleading.
It's the start of a journey
To a much better place
And this wasn't bad
So a much better place
Would have to be special...
Cologne girl
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Steve-o » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:07 am

I have the DVD and saw him twice in '02. OF COURSE it's a GH song and Paul would hope that the fans would know this. He didn't have to state the obvious (George wrote this one....). He was showing George HIS version on the Uke. Plain and simple... and then he was showing US. He actually says "as a tribute to george". geez....
How Come No One Older Than Me Ever Seems To Understand The Things I Wanna To Do?
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to GEORGE