The 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time

Discussions related to George Harrison as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Mini » Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:13 am

It's funny that they have Kim Thayil at 100 who's childhood hero was Ace Frehley. Yet Ace is nowhere to be found because RS are such snobs. Alive 1 and 2 inspired more guitar players than most people on that list.
Mini

Postby Bluebird » Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:25 pm

mr. moonlight wrote:where's john lennon?
he wasn't technically the best player, but one of the most influental rhythm-guitarists..
I think the list is most based on lead guitarists...
You must appreciate the day...
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby EddieV » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:35 am

Where is Rusty
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Lazarus_2 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:05 pm

i've heard BB kings playing, it's not flashy, it's not even that technically good as far as my hearing of his playing can tell. nothing that made my ears prick-up and go wow.

and jimi hendrix is just a dick-head. just because clapton can't do what jimmie does, is no reason for clapton to go on record as saying he's the best or best than him? i'm sure hendrix couldn't of played like clapton either...

hendrix's guitar-style was just about making noise it seems.
Hopefully in future he'll be remembered in his true-light, and not as the god-of-guitarists he's widely known as today.
youtube.com/kinnarchimedes
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member

Postby kylestyle » Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:29 pm

Every time I see this Top 100 list in music forums, EVERYONE bashes Hendrix, it's like he's some helpless leper in the street, kicking him while he's down. If you don't "get" Hendrix then fine. But there's a lot of beauty in that so-called 'noise' he made.
I needed comfort of love just to get me some piece of mind.. wo-oh
kylestyle
Gold member :)

Postby Steve-o » Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:22 pm

kylestyle wrote:Every time I see this Top 100 list in music forums, EVERYONE bashes Hendrix, it's like he's some helpless leper in the street, kicking him while he's down. If you don't "get" Hendrix then fine. But there's a lot of beauty in that so-called 'noise' he made.
Stunning beauty, in fact. I agree. If you don't get him --- don't listen.
How Come No One Older Than Me Ever Seems To Understand The Things I Wanna To Do?
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Lazarus_2 » Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:57 pm

kylestyle wrote:Every time I see this Top 100 list in music forums, EVERYONE bashes Hendrix, it's like he's some helpless leper in the street, kicking him while he's down. If you don't "get" Hendrix then fine. But there's a lot of beauty in that so-called 'noise' he made.
There's nothing to "get" i mean nobody walks into a teachers' classroom, scrapes a fork roughly across the blackboard and says 'The sound it makes is Musak to my ears'... but, perhaps if the teacher did it instead of you, or hendrix even, you'd call it brilliant? :lol:

8) Yes, i'm cool. Too-cool for school.(i can't believe i typed that or even thought it)(the "too-cool for school" but)
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Bluebird » Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:52 am

EddieV wrote:Where is Rusty
I think the list is based on the most Legendary guitarists of all time. Which guitarist who is greatest is your own choise I think. I believe if there are many great studio-guitarists who is the same standard as Rusty. Paul was lucky to find one of them.
You must appreciate the day...
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby kylestyle » Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:06 am

Lazarus_2 wrote:
There's nothing to "get" i mean nobody walks into a teachers' classroom, scrapes a fork roughly across the blackboard and says 'The sound it makes is Musak to my ears'... but, perhaps if the teacher did it instead of you, or hendrix even, you'd call it brilliant? :lol:

8) Yes, i'm cool. Too-cool for school.(i can't believe i typed that or even thought it)(the "too-cool for school" but)

Well I'm not sure what any of that meant, but I do feel he was a great blues player. Machine Gun for example, or Red House. Or Little Wing. Not only that, I like the phaser effects he used and the panning techniques from left-to-right - I liked his vision. Not afraid to experiment and take chances.
I needed comfort of love just to get me some piece of mind.. wo-oh
kylestyle

Postby Lazarus_2 » Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:35 am

kylestyle wrote:
Lazarus_2 wrote:

Well I'm not sure what any of that meant, but I do feel he was a great blues player. Machine Gun for example, or Red House. Or Little Wing. Not only that, I like the phaser effects he used and the panning techniques from left-to-right - I liked his vision. Not afraid to experiment and take chances.
I suppose there was originality in what he did... but, that isn't always great. I like Stevie Ray Vaughan's version of little wing better... and OMG(have you ever seen "austin city limits" with SRV?) there's a track called, um... i forget, but he goes crazy on that guitar, the control is amazing. This guy had electricity running through him 24/7.
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member

PreviousNext

Return to GEORGE