Songs that should have been on the tribute concert

Discussions related to George Harrison as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby funkbeatle » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:14 pm

Oh I don't have that DVD yet. I saw some flashes of that concert. Seems that people missed many George songs. Is Piggies one of that was missed?
funkbeatle

Re: Songs that should have been on the tribute concert

Postby DeRick » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:26 pm

I always thought Eric Clapton should've sung "Badge", because George wrote that.
DeRick

Postby tristanjblythe » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:15 am

No Piggies wasn't done. According to Eric Idle, Clapton suggested the Pythons should perform this because of it light-hearted nature. They politely turned it down - not being musicians they didn't feel comfortable tackling a George song. It was decided by the Harrison family and them that George would actually have wanted them to just do something funny. Also he had collaborated on the Lumberjack Song before - played a Mountie in the chorus live one night at a Python gig in New York and produced the version on the Monty Python Sings album.

The setlist was great but with a good a writer as George there was always going to be some missed off.
tristanjblythe

Postby Brainwashed » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:34 pm

"Don't Bother Me" and "Art of Dying" would of been great.
Brainwashed
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Cologne girl » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:51 pm

The setlist was great of course, but I, too, would have appreciated "Piggies", "Devil's Radio" and maybe "Got My Mind Set On You" - I know this is a cover he did, but after all it was one of his biggest hits. And perhaps some Wilburys stuff, for example "Into the Light" or "Handle with Care" - but this would have required the presence of Bob Dylan, not technically of course, but I think you'll know what I mean. And what about something off "Brainwashed" - wasn't it out by then? I'm sorry, but I'm not sure about the chronology here. In any case, the album was his "good-bye" (even if he had probably not planned it as such :cry: ) Whatever, I agree in that I would probably have, if not skipped altogether (Indian music was part of his life and career and Ravi Shankar a person rather close to him and we have to respect that), at least shortened the "Indian" part and had some more of his wonderful songs.
It's the start of a journey
To a much better place
And this wasn't bad
So a much better place
Would have to be special...
Cologne girl
Supporter
Supporter

Previous

Return to GEORGE