Cloud 9

Discussions related to George Harrison as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Steve-o » Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:53 pm

The songs were fine on Pie. Just the production on some of the songs was too Lynne-like for me. The music on Earth Girl is just awesome...call it abstract or whatever, but the lyrics just seem goofy to me. I don't like alot of the arrangements on "Ground". The choice of singing "Hope of Deliverance" in that key was a bit strange to me. The choice of vocal delivery on the title track also could have been better. I like "get out of my Way" and a few others, but man, I have to say...I was terribly disappointed from day one. Still am.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Gastro (gone) » Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:50 am

Until Jeff Lynne came along I'd never heard of ELO and until now I have never heard of any of their songs or albums (guess I'm showing my age) and for all intents and purposes judging by the reaction of anyone who's heard ELO.. I haven't missed anything.

The sound of Cloud 9 and Brainwashed are very different so I'm not quite sure what Lynne is being accused of. Flaming Pie sounds more like BW than CLoud 9 and Free As A Bird was pretty cool.

All those albums aforementioned have great songs so Lynne or no Lynne he's fine by me.

FLowers I think has a slick production and it stands out for the good (My Brave Face, This One, We Got Married) and for the bad (Rough Ride, Figureo8, Don't Be Careless Love). The live versions of Figureo8 and Rough Ride are miles ahead of the studio versions imho.
Gastro (gone)

Postby Steve-o » Wed Aug 27, 2003 8:10 am

I guess you have to listen to some ELO to get what I'm talking about. It's the sound that comes roaring at you in Tom Petty's "I wont back down". That annoying thump thump thump sound, ala the song Flaming Pie. Check out ELO and you'll get what I'm saying.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Gastro (gone) » Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:43 pm

I hate the song Flaming Pie. If that's what you mean then someone lock up the studio when Lynne is in town. [8D]
Gastro (gone)

Postby Steve-o » Wed Aug 27, 2003 10:56 pm

Yes...that THUMP THUMP THUMP keyboard sound. YECHHHHHHH. Typical Lynne and ELO. Macca toned him down for the most part on Pie, but there's still too much of him for my taste. I like Fish on the Sand as a tune from Cloud Nine, but it has the same production feel.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Gastro (gone) » Thu Aug 28, 2003 3:10 am

I like Fish on the Sand.. the keyboards/synth I could have done without but I think it's a great track.

I've always felt that Looking 4 U should've been on FP. One of the bonus tracks on the Young Boy CD single was a song called Atlantic Ocean. It's got a dance groove and its a happening track, different to everything on FP, Paul should take a risk and put something like that on his albums.
Gastro (gone)

Postby Steve-o » Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:50 am

I can do without Macca dance tracks. That's not him not wanting to take a risk. That's just good sense.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Gastro (gone) » Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:28 pm

This is the problem you see !!! Macca just wants to please guys like you with silly love songs. He's written enough silly love songs to last a Dark Age. [:D] Don't you like Ouest Soleil from FITD?
Gastro (gone)

Postby Steve-o » Mon Sep 01, 2003 12:23 am

NO. Worst track on the album, WAD. And he knows his fan base very well and keeps us happy, lol. Seriously---A dance track is not my idea of a risk. Rinse the Raindrops is. And I love it.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby jamie » Mon Sep 01, 2003 2:03 pm

quote:Originally posted by stevew628
Yes...that THUMP THUMP THUMP keyboard sound. YECHHHHHHH. Typical Lynne and ELO. Macca toned him down for the most part on Pie, but there's still too much of him for my taste. I like Fish on the Sand as a tune from Cloud Nine, but it has the same production feel.
yeah lynne doesnt edit drums either - most of his work - to me 'fp' 'c9' and 'brainwashed' all sound like the same recording session. for example 'vatican blues' was done during the c9 sessions - same sound fits in 15 years later [:D]
jamie
Bronze member
Bronze member

PreviousNext

Return to GEORGE