Brainwashed debuts at number 18 on Billboard

Discussions related to George Harrison as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby maccastheman » Wed Nov 27, 2002 2:41 pm

I'm very disappointed. [V] I thought it would easily land in the top 10. I just read an article that said Capital showed little if any interest in trying to promote the album. I haven't seen hardly any ads to promote "Brainwashed."
I know there is a delicate line you have to walk when promoting the work of somebody who has recently passed on. George was the "quiet Beatle" and he didn't like too much publicity. But he was also a great musician. "Brainwashed" is one of his best works ever. It's too bad more people aren't aware of it or aware how good it is.
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Wed Nov 27, 2002 2:41 pm

I'm very disappointed. [V] I thought it would easily land in the top 10. I just read an article that said Capital showed little if any interest in trying to promote the album. I haven't seen hardly any ads to promote "Brainwashed."
I know there is a delicate line you have to walk when promoting the work of somebody who has recently passed on. George was the "quiet Beatle" and he didn't like too much publicity. But he was also a great musician. "Brainwashed" is one of his best works ever. It's too bad more people aren't aware of it or aware how good it is.
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby RainDriver2002 » Wed Nov 27, 2002 2:59 pm

#18 isn't all bad. We will see if it has legs.
RainDriver2002

Postby maccastheman » Wed Nov 27, 2002 3:02 pm

quote:Originally posted by RainDriver2002
#18 isn't all bad. We will see if it has legs.

Maybe once word gets around it will do better. There are still a few albums that perform that way. The retailers and the media have us all fixated on 1st week sales of everything. (Films, Albums, etc.) It would be nice if "Brainwashed" became a Dark Horse smash. (Pun intended!)
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby RedRoseSpeedway » Wed Nov 27, 2002 5:33 pm

#18 isn't bad at all. To tell you the truth, I'm surprised it ranked THAT high! I'm actually HAPPY that George started at #18 on the charts! I just hope he continues to climb. But it's sad what you said about Capitol not taking interest. That's a shame.
RedRoseSpeedway

Postby Ram1 » Wed Nov 27, 2002 8:59 pm

Number 18? Wow. That's not bad at all. That's great! I'm really surprised as well.
Ram1

Postby Ram1 » Wed Nov 27, 2002 9:18 pm

Bad news. I just checked the charts. Brainwashed isn't even in the Top 100 now.
Ram1

Postby Brains » Thu Nov 28, 2002 7:48 am

I don't care. If people don't want to listen to a great album like BW, it's their loss. I don't think George could have cared less if BW didn't become a hit.

It's always nice to hear his songs on the radio or to see them on MTV, but I've never had any hope that the narrow-minded NSync lovers of the radio stations were ever gonna play anything from BW.

High ranking is nice, but not important. This is art, not commerce.
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Ram1 » Thu Nov 28, 2002 9:48 am

Right. I agree. I don't care either. Just like I didn't care about Driving Rain and it's chart status. I was just merely giving an update as to the chart position since Maccastheman brought it up.
Ram1

Postby maccastheman » Thu Nov 28, 2002 10:50 am

quote:Originally posted by Brains

High ranking is nice, but not important. This is art, not commerce.

Tell that to a professional musician who's tyring to put food on his table but can't sell any records.
I agree with you in theory, but music IS a business as well. If nobody buys good music, then record labels won't release good music. I know there are other outlets, but I hate to see all of the major labels giving up on promoting quality artists.
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to GEORGE