CAN SOMEONE ANSWER THE "GROW OLD WITH ME" QUESTION?

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

CAN SOMEONE ANSWER THE "GROW OLD WITH ME" QUESTION?

Postby Mattal1958 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:28 pm

On the Lennon Box Anthology, George Martin is credited with the orchestral arrangement on GROW OLD WITH ME (which, even if not credited, one could have heard a mile away-- and that is meant in a complimentary way).

There is also an uncredited bass in the background, and the style playing is very McCartney-like. Now, I had heard the remaining three (during Beatles Anthology) had worked on this song, but eventually scrapped it.

Is that or is that NOT Paul McCartney playing bass on the backing of GROW OLD WITH ME?

(The original version is on MILK & HONEY, and it's just John and piano, obviously a crudely recorded demo, with no other instrumentation).
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Re: CAN SOMEONE ANSWER THE "GROW OLD WITH ME" QUESTION?

Postby linclink » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:59 pm

Mattal1958 wrote:On the Lennon Box Anthology, George Martin is credited with the orchestral arrangement on GROW OLD WITH ME (which, even if not credited, one could have heard a mile away-- and that is meant in a complimentary way).

There is also an uncredited bass in the background, and the style playing is very McCartney-like. Now, I had heard the remaining three (during Beatles Anthology) had worked on this song, but eventually scrapped it.

Is that or is that NOT Paul McCartney playing bass on the backing of GROW OLD WITH ME?

(The original version is on MILK & HONEY, and it's just John and piano, obviously a crudely recorded demo, with no other instrumentation).

I hope someone else here can answer this 100% for certain, but...I'd heard the Macca rumor as well, and, it might have even been here, seen it debunked as untrue. I'd say I'm 99.9% certain it isn't him. I think we would've known by now if it was.
I LOVE "Grow Old With Me" (probably as fave a Lennon song as I have, period), but, as much as I love George Martin too, and had high hopes for his involvement, I didn't really care for his arrangement that much. I didn't outright hate it, but I was just disappointed.
The version that I think is the best, is the one on the recently remastered version of "Milk & Honey". Blessings!
Om Namah Shivaya !!!!
linclink
Silver member
Silver member

Location: Canandaigua, New York, USA, Earth, Cosmos of Light & Love

Postby Mattal1958 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:08 am

then, why is the bass player UNCREDITED, despite most of the instrumentalists and musicians throughout the rest of the four CD set credited on nearly every song?

I think it's McCartney, and at the time, Yoko was having trouble with Paul, and chose NOT to credit him on the Box.
in years to come/they may discover/what the air we breathe and the life we lead are all about/but it won't be soon enough for me
Mattal1958
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby linclink » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:20 am

Mattal1958 wrote:then, why is the bass player UNCREDITED, despite most of the instrumentalists and musicians throughout the rest of the four CD set credited on nearly every song?

I think it's McCartney, and at the time, Yoko was having trouble with Paul, and chose NOT to credit him on the Box.

I honestly think McCartney would have spoke about this if it was him...and/or George Martin would've said something, or somehow someone in the know would've leaked something out about it. To the best of my knowledge there is nothing like that. There is only speculation, that since there is no credit (likely some session player) that it must secretly be Paul. Maybe it is? Maybe we'll all find out someday, but at this point, I highly, as in 99.9% doubt it.
Om Namah Shivaya !!!!
linclink
Silver member
Silver member

Location: Canandaigua, New York, USA, Earth, Cosmos of Light & Love

Postby dylankyra » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:27 pm

For anyone interested I hear that GROW OLD WITH ME was just recently recorded by Glen Campbell on his new CD just out. He also covers the likes of Tom Petty and Velvet Underground, among others. :D
dylankyra

Return to JOHN