Book of never-before-seen John Lennon photos next month

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby I am the Paulrus » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:49 pm

January 18, 2008

http://www.whatgoeson.com/news/john-len ... month.html

May Pang met John Lennon when she worked for the Beatles' management company in the early 1970's. She got to know him well when she served as Lennon and Yoko Ono's personal assistant after that. But her life with Lennon began when Ono asked May to "keep John company" during a break in their marriage. Although hesitant at first, Pang eventually became John Lennon's girlfriend during what is often referred to as a "lost weekend." In later years, the official Lennon camp had suggested that May's time with John was a blip on the screen; a time when Lennon was stymied creatively, unhappy and estranged from his family and bandmates. But Pang's wonderful photos, many of which appear in this book for the first time, tell a different story.

A new book, Instamatic Karma, Photographs of John Lennon, by May Pang, showcases these never-before-seen photos of John Lennon during his time with May.

They show a relaxed and playful Lennon--eating Chinese food at their East 52nd Street apartment, swimming in Long Island, spending Christmas and a trip to Disneyland with son Julian and hanging out with Ringo Starr and Paul McCartney--and a creative and productive Lennon working on his album "Walls and Bridges" and rehearsing his band for the "Rock'n'Roll" album.

A native of New York's Spanish Harlem, May Pang grew up loving music. Her very first job was at the Beatles' management company, ABKCO Industries. While working at ABKCO, John Lennon and Yoko Ono moved to New York City and hired May as their personal assistant. As exciting as this was, little did she know what fate had in store. One day in June 1973, Yoko approached her and explained that she and John needed a break from each other. Yoko had also decided that May would be his 'ideal companion.'

So began an 18-month relationship that had become known misleadingly as "Lennon's Lost Weekend." During this period, however, John Lennon was actually the most productive and successful in his post-Beatles career. After Lennon's tragic death in 1980, a lot of myths and misconceptions began surfacing about John and May's time together. In 1983, she decided to set the record straight with her memoir, Loving John.

She eventually married record producer Tony Visconti and has two children. Today, May is a full-time single mom, but her heart is still in rock n' roll. She is currently a photographer, artist and Feng Shui jewelry and furniture designer. She lives in New York.

Pang's images span color and black & white, prints and more candid Polaroids, and paint a nimble, effortless and innocent portrait of both a romance and a fascinating time in John Lennon's life. The captions Pang has written to accompany her photos are rich with detail and make this book truly exceptional.

Instamatic Karma, Photographs of John Lennon, will be in stores on March 6, 2008.

More information:
• Instamatic Karma, Photographs of John Lennon, by May Pang
ImageImage
I am the Paulrus
Silver member
Silver member

Re: Book of never-before-seen John Lennon photos next month

Postby Harrythebannister » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:44 pm

This book sounds excellent and love the pic on the cover!!
Man I could smell your breath a mile away.
Harrythebannister
Supporter
Supporter

Postby I am the Paulrus » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:55 am

There's a pic of John and Paul from May Pang's book. It was taken on the same day, by May, when they were with Who drummer Keith Moon.

New photo:

John, Paul, & Keith Moon:
ImageImage
I am the Paulrus
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Harrythebannister » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:21 am

Are these from the infamous "Toot & A Snore" sessions.
Man I could smell your breath a mile away.
Harrythebannister
Supporter
Supporter

Postby tristanjblythe » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:40 am

Well that certainly looks like coke by Paul's feet and there was a fair bit of that at the session by all accounts!! :wink:
tristanjblythe

Postby Berkeleyan » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:07 am

I´m so happy for the above pic´s !! It´s the first time I get to see a picture of John & Paul together after the Beatles split up.
Thank you May Pang !! Pity that you couldn´t hang on to John.
Anyway John´s behavior in the "lost weekend" was pretty erratic to say the least and she suffered verbal and physical aggression from him, so who´s to blame her for not insisting on him? Pity, though....she was good to/for him, I think.
The Love You Take is Equal to the Love You Make
Berkeleyan
Gold member :)

Postby EddieV » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:20 am

Yes it is a great picture!! Wonder what they were talking about??
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby EddieV » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:23 am

Berkeleyan wrote:I´m so happy for the above pic´s !! It´s the first time I get to see a picture of John & Paul together after the Beatles split up.
Anyway John´s behavior in the "lost weekend" was pretty erratic to say the least and she suffered verbal and physical aggression from him, so who´s to blame her for not insisting on him? Pity, though....she was good to/for him, I think.

We always hear so much about Johns Lost Weekend, but I guess Paul was crazy too at times, but didn´t go public about it.
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Berkeleyan » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:58 pm

EddieV wrote:Yes it is a great picture!! Wonder what they were talking about??

I say they were just shooting the breeze, talking about nothing and anything in particular, doing small talk....I believe Paul would avoid "Beatle businesses" (law suits & stuff) at all costs so as not to upset John.
Berkeleyan

Postby Berkeleyan » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:01 pm

EddieV wrote:
Berkeleyan wrote:I´m so happy for the above pic´s !! It´s the first time I get to see a picture of John & Paul together after the Beatles split up.

We always hear so much about Johns Lost Weekend, but I guess Paul was crazy too at times, but didn´t go public about it.

You know, Paul might get a bit naughty, smoke a joint & stuff, but John´s lost weekend was simply OUTRAGEOUS by all accounts !
Berkeleyan

Next

Return to JOHN