Lennon and Lou Reed

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Lennon and Lou Reed

Postby maccastheman » Mon Nov 04, 2002 4:34 pm

Does anybody know if John ever said anything about Lou Reed? I know he liked Frank Zappa, but I've never heard much about what John thought about Lou Reed. I think John would respect him because he's so real.
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Lennon and Lou Reed

Postby maccastheman » Mon Nov 04, 2002 4:34 pm

Does anybody know if John ever said anything about Lou Reed? I know he liked Frank Zappa, but I've never heard much about what John thought about Lou Reed. I think John would respect him because he's so real.
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Mon Nov 04, 2002 5:17 pm

quote:Originally posted by stevew628
I think JL took a walk on the wild side with Eppie many years before, LOL. Serioulsy..I never have heard of any comments.

Hehe. I've heard that one, too. Don't know if it's true or not. I don't really care.
I just think as a solo artist, Lennon had a lot in common with Reed -particularly the realism associated with the Velvet Underground. You can kind of hear that on "Plastic Ono Band."
There are also some major differences as well. Reed would never, ever write a song like "Imagine." He is far too pessimistic.
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby maccastheman » Mon Nov 04, 2002 5:53 pm

quote:Originally posted by stevew628
Well..I could care less if the JL-BE thing happened either. As for Lou Reed, I don't really care for guys who can't carry a tune--may sound harsh, but it's the way I feel. I liked a few of his songs, but that's it. Lennon could sound quite good when he tried. As songwriters, I guess Reed was OK, but never in JL's class, and certainly not in Macca's. Reed is unique and pessimistic--I'll give him that much.

I'm into all kinds of music. As far as melodies, arrangements, and inspiring lyrics, Macca is the best by far. But every once in a while I like to listen to folks like Reed and Dylan. It's kind of grounding in a way. Too much of it, however, can make you really, really depressed. [V] I guess it's all about balance. [8D]
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Return to JOHN