Did anyone really Dig John & Yoko in the early 70's

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Did anyone really Dig John & Yoko in the early 70's

Postby cleptosid » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:07 pm

I just got finished watching the video of Lennon LIVE IN NY for the ump-teenth time. I was at that show and as a kid age 13. I loved that I saw a beatle and liked them all the same back then. But over the years as I look back at what has turned into a historical period of Lennon's career I don't think if I were an adult back then I would have went for all the radical crap. If you really look at what was going on. John surrounded himself by a pack of losers who John was trying to give exposure via his fame. The likes of Jerry Reuben, David Peel and Bobby Seale seriously took away from John's music. Imagine was a classic but, if you look at Sometime in NYC album Would you have settled on a band like Elephants Memory to back you up? They were absolutely awful and that collection of songs were not the best he had to offer. It was a good thing he left those Idiots behind him (the band and the radicals) by the time he was working on Mind Games. Which by the way was not a very good album either. But at least there was no Yoko Ono garbage on it. In reality I have all the Yoko Stuff and actually do like a few things she did but I would have preferred more John stuff on a b side or album rather that hear her shriek to a pretty decent musical jam at times. I liked Walls & Bridges allot That is where he I believe he matured into a more serious artist rather than just write about Yoko. Then soon after Rock & Roll was released and that was Ok but I feel He could have given a bit more on that. A few gems like Ain't that a shame and Stand by me were really good but the over all was just not that good. Then after a family life out of the spotlight John comes back 5 years later to record a masterpiece but then again way too much Yoko On Double fantasy. Thank god all John's songs on DF were really good. I used to tape only his songs and play the tape rather than the album with yoko's crap on it. John wore many hats from 1970 till his premature passing where as the rest of the lads pretty much remained the same. Well now that I'm finished with this thought. I'll take my praise or lumps on this topic. Just remember I loved John as much as the rest of em but there was way more to criticize with him.
Every morning brings a new day
cleptosid

Postby james1985 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:24 pm

It's a shame that the "J+Y myth" as begun in the 1980 interviews and continued by Yoko after john's death has more or less resigned Mind Games and Walls and Bridges to history, when in fact they contain a lot of his best work. So what if he was "crafting" these songs? He's a bloody great craftsman!
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Scott Dossett » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:36 pm

I always loved and respected him for what he meant to me personally and how he and The Beatles made my life more enjoyable...The early 70's were just a new era in the life and times of John Lennon...a truly remarkable story...as is all of the stories of their lives...From little or nothing to the biggest Act in the history of the World...The Beatles ! :D
Scott Dossett

Postby Harrythebannister » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:54 pm

I think they were naively brilliant!!!!
Harrythebannister
Supporter
Supporter

Return to JOHN