John's Psychedelic Rolls Royce on display in suburban Detroi

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

John's Psychedelic Rolls Royce on display in suburban Detroi

Postby I am the Paulrus » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:43 am

John's Psychedelic Rolls Royce on display in suburban Detroit
....and a couple fo Beatle/Beatle related guitars

http://www.thehenryford.org/museum/rockstars/index.html

John's Psychedelic 1965 Rolls Royce Phantom V is part of a collection of vintage and collectable cars and guitars called "Rock Stars' Cars & Guitars Exhibit" that are on display at The Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, Michigan from now until Sept. 30.

When John Lennon, a working-class kid from Liverpool, England, became a mega-rich international rock star as a member of the Beatles, he did what wealthy upper-class Brits had been doing for decades—he bought a Rolls Royce. Heavily customized from the start, Lennon had it repainted and decorated in 1967, to fit his own and the Beatles’ evolving style and sensibilities.

Lennon allowed the Phantom V to be used by the other Beatles and, later, by other rock stars like The Rolling Stones, The Moody Blues and Bob Dylan.

John Lennon had hardly taken delivery of this Rolls-Royce on June 3,1965 before he began planning modifications. In 1966 he had the rear seat modified to convert into a double bed, also added were a Sony television, telephone and a portable refrigerator. Rolls-Royce company is appalled
at this custom painted psychedelic-theme and launches a formal complaint.
By the time he donated the car to New York’s Cooper-Hewitt Museum in 1977 the vehicle had a radio-telephone, a custom sound system, a television, a refrigerator, and the back seat converted into a bed. The crowning touch was the swirling custom paint job, inspired by Gypsy caravans. In June 1985 the car sold for $2,299.000.00 at Sotheby's making it the worlds most expensive car.

Also on display is a Fender Guitar Given to John Lennon. (Returned to Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick after Lennon's Death).
And a Fender "Stratocaster," played by The Beatles, Magical Mystery hand-painted. (Could it be "Rocky" or a replica of it?)

ImageImage
I am the Paulrus
Silver member
Silver member

Postby I am the Paulrus » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:45 pm

Here is what I saw there:

The exhibit had these mobile phones you key in a number to hear info on a particular item. It must have been purposely done like this, but John's RR was option #9 in the exhibit. They had photos of John hanging near the car but none of him when he was a Beatle. It would have made more sense to have shown photos of him from his Beatles days since this is when he owned the RR. And photos of him appearing with the RR as I posted above would have been proper in the exhibit.

This is a 1963 Fender Telecaster with Parsons/White String Bender that was played by John Lennon while working on the Double Fantasy album. Also played by Rick Nielsen who said,"I loaned this to John Lennon during the Double Fantasy sessions, which Bun E. Carlos and myself played on. He had never seen a StringBender before and thought it was cool. I got it back 3 years after John's death."

A Rick Nielsen owned Fender Stratocaster painted like "Rocky". This settles the issue I was looking into to see if this was the real "Rocky" or not. And as we can see this is a replica and the original "Rocky" is with the Harrison Estate.

A 1967 Fender Telecaster played by Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick. One of only two made with The Beatles graphics and Gold Sparkle Finish by The Fender Custom Shop for the 1967 NAMM (the Internationlal Music Products Association) Show.
Jimmy Page of Led Zepplein owns the other one.
ImageImage
I am the Paulrus
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Harrythebannister » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:53 pm

This is cool!!!!!!!!!
Harrythebannister
Supporter
Supporter

Return to JOHN