Was he starting over again in 1980??

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Was he starting over again in 1980??

Postby EddieV » Mon May 21, 2007 10:24 am

I´ve been listening to Lennon Anthology CD4, and this is so great. Very hard guitarrock in I´m Losing You, I Don´t Wanna Face It, great ballads Woman, Borrowed time. I´m Stepping Out
John sings so great. I think he would have peaked gain if he was not killed!!

What do you think?
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Mon May 21, 2007 12:03 pm

He sounds on top form, just don't buy into the "i never touched a guitar for five years" myth that he and yoko were promoting in 1980. Those songs are as much a product of "work" and "craft" as Mind Games or Walls And Bridges.
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Merry483 » Mon May 21, 2007 8:04 pm

Oh, what might have been!

I think John was planning to tour the next year, and from the interviews I've read, he had many plans for the future!

I love his last albums...they were just the beginning, I'm sure.

It still hurts me very deeply that he wasn't able to fulfill those things. :(
Merry483

Starting Over?

Postby Keeper Of The Wheel » Tue May 22, 2007 7:40 pm

Oh yeah... being a dad and taking the time to be one mellowed him down, not to mention that he hit forty (and the death of Elvis at 42 in 1977 fresh in mind) probably prompted him to make a new statement.... John for the '80's, home and hearth as opposed to the left radical that was prominent for John in the early 70's.
It would have been quite possible that the Beatles may have recorded again in the 80's (all the others having gotten the solo bug out of their juices!)
I would venture that a Beatles album would have been likely in 1983/84 and possibly one more in 89/90, but no tour or live playing.. which would have been a pity.
All that, if John had lived.
Keeper Of The Wheel

Postby nerktwin » Thu May 31, 2007 11:37 pm

james1985 wrote:He sounds on top form, just don't buy into the "i never touched a guitar for five years" myth that he and yoko were promoting in 1980. Those songs are as much a product of "work" and "craft" as Mind Games or Walls And Bridges.

Actually, they were worked on much more than either of those albums. In fact, it was said John wrote alot of the lyrics on Mind Games in the studio when he recorded it-

It's pretty much known now that the Double Fantasy songs had been around for quite awhile and worked on- only a few like "woman" and "Dear Yoko" seem to have been writiten whole riight before the album. "I'm Losing you" was started when he was still witih May Pang, bout five years before.

At any rate, hearing John's demos around the time of his death, he was still writing great songs and he certainly would have written many more memorable ones if he had not died.
nerktwin

Postby james1985 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:16 am

nerktwin wrote:
It's pretty much known now that the Double Fantasy songs had been around for quite awhile and worked on- only a few like "woman" and "Dear Yoko" seem to have been writiten whole riight before the album. "I'm Losing you" was started when he was still witih May Pang, bout five years before.

But the thing is, if you believed J+Y's Playboy interivews, they arrived in this moment of almost divine inspiration.

I wonder why he was always running away from the idea of himself as a "craftsman" songwriter. I wouldn't be too upset if I could craft something like Noboady Loves You...
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ringo_Marr » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:17 pm

He would have had a massive hit tour in 1981 and again in 1983 after the follow-up album hit the charts.

A Beatles album would have emerged in 1988 (but a Beatles live show would probably not happen until the mid-90's). All 4 would be at Rock-n-Roll HOF induction and the reunion would begin there...

AND Michael Jackson would never have purchased the Beatles publishing rights!
Ringo_Marr

Postby Harrythebannister » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:48 pm

Yep! without a doubt and I definately think The Beatles would have played at Live Aid if he had lived!!!
Harrythebannister
Supporter
Supporter

Return to JOHN