Woman is the ....

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby dsnito » Wed Oct 09, 2002 1:52 pm

Yeah and Happy Birthday to Sean Lennon too!!! 27 y.o.!! As time goes by...so fast!!

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Brains » Wed Oct 09, 2002 5:05 pm

I don't think the song is that bad. I only know the live version on Wonsaponatime. I have SINYC on LP, but no turntable, so I've never heard it.
It has some pretty good sax playing (who is that?) and the "we make her paint her face and dance" part is pretty good too imho.
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby dsnito » Wed Oct 09, 2002 5:15 pm

Yeah that's not too bad, I just think that's not SO great, not a masterpiece at all.
As for saying about turntable, are NOT the electronic industries printing turntables anymore?? What the people that have turntables have to do to hear LP or vinyl singles?? It's difficult to find those later at least here, I don't know about Europe, USA or in Asia.

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby nicholeantoinette » Wed Oct 09, 2002 5:28 pm

quote:Originally posted by Ram1
THANK YOU, Nich! I am of African descent as well (I never wanted to mention it, but now feel that I should. Not because I'm ashamed, but just because I didn't want it factored into this forum AT ALL.) And I TOTALLY agree with you. Like I said earlier, this thread is the ONLY time I have EVER heard a criticism about the word nigger in this song. From the beginning, I knew what John was saying. I've never been offended by it because I know the meaning of the song.

You rock, Ram. RAM ON! Everyone has shared interesting thoughts here...and as for Johnny's Birthday, it's the reason I brought up the gun banning issue. If only he were Here Today...
nicholeantoinette

Postby Ram1 » Wed Oct 09, 2002 5:53 pm

Ram on, Nich. Thanks for bringing up the gun issue as it relates to John. I really really wish there was no need for guns in our society. Unfortunately, our country is so SCREWED UP with violence, that innocent people need to protect themselves. I guess compelling arguments can be made for both sides.
Ram1

Postby dsnito » Thu Oct 10, 2002 4:32 am

Ram, Nichole - I ever thought that guns and weapons are the worst of worst thing that humanity created. But sadly those are reality, the misery of the Earth...[V]

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby dsnito » Thu Oct 10, 2002 4:36 am

That´s why we MUST to be wishing for PEACE, praying for PEACE, spreading peaceful words!! We need so much PEACE, my Lord!!!

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Brains » Sun Oct 27, 2002 2:16 pm

quote:Originally posted by Ram1
OF COURSE John wasn't racist. Heck, he was the one reportedly in the EARLY 60s, who just short of cursed PAUL out for making a flippant racist joke.

Have you heard the jam version of Get Back where Paul sings "We don't want no Pakistanis taking other people's jobs"? What the hell was that all about?
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby dakota » Sun Oct 27, 2002 5:58 pm

Ram, just curious, when you say you are of African descent...are you full or partial?

I'm about 1/8 myself. I'm catagorically a caucasion. My biological grand parents were considered black. They were about as black as Mariah Carey.

Since your from near the DC area, do you remember the woman mayor of Washington DC in the early 80's, Sharon Pratt?....well she (was) my second aunt in-law. Her husband who (still is) my second uncle, Arrington Dixon was the city councilman of DC in the late 70's. He ran for city councilman again in the late 90's but lost.
dakota

Postby Ram1 » Sun Oct 27, 2002 7:15 pm

quote:Ram, just curious, when you say you are of African descent...are you full or partial?

Well, I really don't like for this to have any part of the forums, but since you asked me the question, I'll respectfully respond. I am, what most people would call, "full." Although there are a lot of white "bloodlines" that run through my family. As well as tons of Native American. My paternal grandfather was half white. (His mother was a slave who was raped by her master. Not uncommon in those days.) And tons of white and Indian on my mother's side. Tons of people think me and my brother are actually Latino. My brother gets people coming up to him speaking Spanish in the city all the time.

quote:Since your from near the DC area, do you remember the woman mayor of Washington DC in the early 80's, Sharon Pratt?....

Sharon Pratt Dixon. Yes, I remember her well. She actually crossed my mind not too long ago. I've been wondering what she's up to. Is she still in the area? She was actually mayor in the 90s. (91-95) She remarried soon after she was elected, (Sharon Pratt Kelly.) Very cool info, man. Thanks for sharing.
Ram1

PreviousNext

Return to JOHN