Beautiful Boy very underrated?

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby BruceMirken » Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:59 pm

I've always liked this song, but ever since John's murder it's been inextricably linked in my mind to that tragedy that left Sean without a dad at age 5. "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." 26 years later and I can't hear that line without wanting to strangle Mark David Chapman.
"I am an anti-imperialist. I am opposed to having the eagle put its talons on any other land." -- Mark Twain
BruceMirken
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:55 pm

EddieV wrote:It is a beautiful song, much better than eg. Woman

Better than Woman? Lyrics Yes
Music No

and since old Guru here is more about the melody I'd say Woman gets the nod!

Beautiful Boy is a lovely song and it says something nice.
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby ANGRY » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:02 am

james...it is how i feel about ALL my children, not just my son...sort of like 'put it there' (which is a far, far better song, imho) i almost always sing/hum/change it to '..that's what a father says to his young ones..." not 'young son'...i have 3 daughters and one son...it all applies equally...

i've always liked 'BB' more that 'woman'...

and i've always thought that DF is the best, non paul 'paulesque' album any ex beatle could've made (without paul, of course... :wink: )
ANGRY
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Beatle Lou » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:00 am

ANGRY wrote:james...it is how i feel about ALL my children, not just my son...sort of like 'put it there' (which is a far, far better song, imho) i almost always sing/hum/change it to '..that's what a father says to his young ones..." not 'young son'...i have 3 daughters and one son...it all applies equally...

i've always liked 'BB' more that 'woman'...

and i've always thought that DF is the best, non paul 'paulesque' album any ex beatle could've made (without paul, of course... :wink: )

According to Jack Douglas the albums producer, John Lennon was very inspired by Paul's "Coming Up" during the recording of that record and it's funny but songs like "Beautiful Boy" and "Woman" were the kind of songs that John used to berate Macca for writing after the Beatles breakup.It's nice to see he came to see what Paul found years earlier.
Beatle Lou

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:37 am

Beatle Lou wrote:According to Jack Douglas the albums producer, John Lennon was very inspired by Paul's "Coming Up" during the recording of that record and it's funny but songs like "Beautiful Boy" and "Woman" were the kind of songs that John used to berate Macca for writing after the Beatles breakup.It's nice to see he came to see what Paul found years earlier.

I was not aware of John being inspired by Paul's Coming Up!...very good!
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Beatle Lou » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:50 am

Yeah Guru, it is good. Even during those sessions John recorded a bunch of rock n roll covers, among them was Macca's "She's A Woman", maybe the thaw between them was starting to set in, unfortunately we'll never know.
Beatle Lou

Postby Mike » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:38 am

It's a great song. Ever see Richard Dreyfuss as a music teacher in Mr. Holland's Opus. The song was performed in the movie.
Mike
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Previous

Return to JOHN