Where were you...Dec. 8th 1980

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Where were you...Dec. 8th 1980

Postby Rene » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:49 am

Americans often ask...where were you when Kennedy was shot? I wasn't born yet. However when Lennon died, I was in jr. high, my mom came in my room and told me. I missed school the following day. I didn't get it then and I dont get it now.

Anyone care to share...where were you?
"If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal." John Lennon

http://www.myspace.com/amazedrene
Rene
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mi » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:40 am

No idea, I was two years old...probably in Jerusalem - that's where we lived back then, but I know nothing more. But I know what you mean - I don't get it either.
mi
Silver member
Silver member

Postby drbecky » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:36 pm

I was living in Birmingham, England, working on a post-graduate degree. I receive a phone from friends in my hometown, Dallas, Texas,(it was 10 pm Dallas time, at was 4 am in Birmingham.) There was no more sleep that night.
drbecky
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Laura » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:00 pm

I was sleeping in bed read about his murder
in the newspaper.
Laura
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Paperback Writer » Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:56 am

To make a long, sad story short, I was working - with good friends- and we were all devastated. I kept thinking of loved ones and how come it felt like John was one of them - well the loved ones all understood - he was a loved one to us all.
My mind quickly went to his family - and his chosen family - lovers and friends - The Beatles, was very concerned for Paul, George, and Ringo.
Very depressing Christmas season.
Guns, violence, everything John worked against.
Re-tripled my efforts to make meaning of he and the Beatles' work to extend his message in all vennues and formats.
His wit and humor are vital to remember him with - the last few seconds of LOVE is a wonderful way to re-live it and carry the spirit.
"Step on the gas and wipe that tear away,
One sweet dream came true today!"
Paperback Writer
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Scott Dossett » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:06 pm

I was in a nightclub/fancy restaurant in Hattiesburg, MS called Michel's listening to a band called The Drapes who were the hottest band in Misssissippi at the time. They were taking a break and their lead guitar player/singer, Webb Wilder (very famous to this day and has a web site that is worth a look-he was a huge Beatles fan and a classmate of mine) went downstairs to share an herbal jazz cigarette with some of the kitchen staff who happened to be watching Monday Night Football. When Howard Cosell announced that John was D.O.A., Webb ran back upstairs and announced it to the large crowd which immediately became a small crowd.

Today, I can go upstairs in that building and go stand on the exact tile where I was on 12-8-80. I went straight home and watched hours and hours of reports saying basically the same thing...John had been shot and killed. The worst day of my life to say the least. Now, going on 53 years of age, I can remember that night and the next few weeks like they were yesterday...It was like the breath had been knocked out of me and I had lost a dear friend...In fact, the world had lost a dear friend.

You can't tell me the world would be the same if John Lennon had lived. If you try, I won't believe you. I'm not saying it would be better necessarily (although I really think it would), I'm just saying it would be different in a good way.
Scott Dossett

Postby Rene » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:42 pm

Scott Dossett wrote:You can't tell me the world would be the same if John Lennon had lived. If you try, I won't believe you. I'm not saying it would be better necessarily (although I really think it would), I'm just saying it would be different in a good way.

The butterfly effect.
I do believe everyone's existence effects everyone elses in some way. So obviously, if you are good, it would be good...bad then bad. I think we are all connected.

Lennon though I never met or even saw him in person had an effect on me/my life. Minimally, I have been made more aware of some things by his music and his voice. Something I think he had alot of left in him. A cause to fight for and music to share.
"If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal." John Lennon

http://www.myspace.com/amazedrene
Rene
Supporter
Supporter

Postby ANGRY » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:56 am

i was sitting in bed, reading, when literally, i felt complelled to check out the news, something told me to turn on the tv...i was just flipping channels when i came across the game w/cosell...something in his voice made me stop..and then he said it...i can remember flipping around, and watching news reports - dazed and confused...

same thing happened on 9/11...just felt compelled to turn on the morning news, something i rarely did...just in time to see the very first mention that there was a possiblilty of a small plane crashing into one of the towers..
ANGRY
Silver member
Silver member

Postby EddieV » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:30 pm

I was in school just before I left for one more schoolday, we heard on the radio.
In those days it was hard to be a Beatlefan and it became even harder that day :(
The other students were very much into disco, bah as Laz would have said.
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:48 pm

It was still seven years until I'd come into the world, and yet I get emotional on Dec 8th, even though I wasn't alive. Such is the power of the Beatles
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to JOHN