Was 1967 his best year??

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby 2 of 3 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:43 am

I don't mean that after The Beatles he never wrote a good song; they just weren't AS good.

You mean, the same thing they say about Paul? :wink:
The World is a tangled up necklace of Pearls
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby nerktwin » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:04 am

66/67 was a definite peak 70/71 comes close- it's hard to argue against the success of the song "Imagine" has had just in the last ten years alone.
nerktwin

Postby L Dozier » Thu May 17, 2007 6:42 pm

jules wrote:I don't think his Double Fantasy stuff comes anywhere near She Said She Said, I'm Only Sleeping, TNK, And Your Bird Can Sing, Doctor Robert, Strawberry Fields, Lucy, ADITL, Mr. Kite, Walrus, AYNIL et al.

I agree with this. Plus, the Double Fantasy album itself was spoiled with the inclusion of seven Yoko songs. I didn't care much for any of the records they made together. John may have been head over heels in love with Yoko, but she certainly didn't bring out the best in his music.
L Dozier

Postby Merry483 » Sat May 19, 2007 9:10 am

From what I've read, John was heavily into LSD during the period of time from '67 through at least '69, so he tapped into some very heavy creativity. However, he had admitted that during that time, he was pretty laxidaizical about what was going on...losing interest in the Beatles and letting Paul take the lead. Yoko had also started influencing him a bit and when he wasn't in the studio, he was lolling around his home, daydreaming and attending art shows. It was a pretty passive period of his life, but he put out some of his greatest music then, yes!

I think John hit some highs and lows during the post-Beatles era...one of my favorite albums is "Walls And Bridges" which he made when he was away from Yoko, interestingly enough. :lol:

He wrote some beautiful and tender ballads for Yoko, even on "Double Fantasy", you can't take that away from him...nor his trademark acerbic wit. John ran the gamut from tender and sensitive to downright biting at times, but that's why I love his music...he wasn't afraid to show his emotions.
Merry483

Postby Harrythebannister » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:58 pm

Yeah definately! he seemed to lose his edge afterwards and Macca took control of The Beatles!!!
Harrythebannister
Supporter
Supporter

Previous

Return to JOHN