John's speaking voice/accent

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby I am the Paulrus » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:58 pm

Listen to John's speaking voice throughout the decades. In AHDN and Help!, you hear his thick Scouse accent. I thought I recall hearing around the time of when Pepper was being recorded, possibly during "Strawberry Fields" sessions, George Martin said John wanted the sound of singing voice to change. That may have been due to slowing the tape speed down somewhat. Maybe the style of singing voice also changed around this time. I have noticed a kind of change in his singing voice as well from when you listen to his voice in 1964 sounds a bit diffrent in 1980. I want to say around 1969-1970 when I hear John in interviews, his voice sounds kinda like on helium. I use the word helium as a metaphor because his Liverpool accent sounds like its thinned out as opposed to how he sounded in 1965-67. Either he had a way of controlling the way his accent/speaking voice sounds or maybe it did thin out somewhat when he moved to NYC and being away from England all those years.

There was a thread going on for this on the official Macca forum that gave the idea for this thread:

http://macca.devstars.com/phpBB2/viewto ... highlight=
ImageImage
I am the Paulrus
Silver member
Silver member

Postby james1985 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:09 pm

You're right. I think "thinner" is the right word
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mi » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:38 pm

Maybe "softer" as well.
mi
Silver member
Silver member

Postby grade4 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:40 am

His voice did change - George too. George's voice became a lot clearer over the years, even to the early nineties. I think they either had some kind of speech lessons in studio, or they just got used to other accents. Since boys weren't in Liverpool anymore, they weren't so scouse and their accents adapted to where they were. Their voices got clearer over the years. The first time I saw AHDN I needed subtitles/closed captioning ;) . It's the same with Linda -- how she gained a semi-British accent from being with Paul.
"I feel like a princess" -- Sean Lennon, Irving Plaza, 4/13/07
grade4

Return to JOHN