Lennon loved TV - Hart to Hart pilot

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Chris Speers » Sun Sep 22, 2002 8:46 pm

John Lennon was a tv junkie. In the Freddie Seamen book, Lennon draws out an intense pictoral for Fred on what kind of TV to buy, the stand, and how many inches.

John was thrilled one day when the producers of Three's Company (his favorite TV Show) sent him a script as guest-star on the show in early 1979. John was supposed to play Nigel Gripeweed, Mr. Furley's eccentric nephew who arrives at the Regal Beagel and hits on Chrissie and Janet. When Furley mistakenly thinks that Nigel (John Lennon) is secretly in love with Jack, he goes ballstic and the whole show ends with Jack accidentally hitting Furley with the kitchen door and knocking him cold. The show's closing credits end with Nigel Gripeweed (Lennon) playing the chords to "Jealous Guy" as Jack, Chrissie, and Janet sing along.

Just out of curiosity, Does anybody remember the show "Hart to Hart" starring Stephanie Powers and Robert Wagner that premiered on ABC in 1980? It was about two reculsive millionaries who act as private detectives. Well, originally, those roles were written for John Lennon and Yoko Ono. And it was supposed to be called: Lennon to Lennon in a bag. It mainly centered around two radical sixties revolutionaries who act as private detectives uncovering high crimes and misdeamners around the world. John seriously considered acting in the pilot in mid 1980 and was anxiously to act again like he did in How I won the War. Lennon was psyched to do his own stunts and was thrilled when best Friend Peter Boyle was offered the role of Lionel, their loyal butler. John was excited but Yoko wanted to sing in at least half of the episodes. In the pilot, she insisted on singing "I'm Your angel" in a cabaret number that sent ABC execs in a tizzy.

Lennon wanted guest-stars like Abbie Hoffman, Frank Zappa, Elton John, and even former President Richard Nixon to appear on the show.

Sadly, the whole thing feel apart when Yoko insisted on a three part episode dealing with her ex-husband Tony Cox and her daughter Kyoko. ABC refused her request to film several episodes in Japan. Sadly, it was John's ultimate decision to consider the part that made him rush back into the studio and back into the public eye. Sadly, one of the last scripts that Lennon read was the pilot to "Magnum, PI" which he nearly considered. Billy Preston was supposed to star as Roger the helicopter pilot and George Martin the part of the Valet. And Bob Guen as his best friend. John was pysched to act again but sadly - Yoko sent him on thet trip to Bermuda...and you know the rest.
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Chris Speers » Sun Sep 22, 2002 8:46 pm

John Lennon was a tv junkie. In the Freddie Seamen book, Lennon draws out an intense pictoral for Fred on what kind of TV to buy, the stand, and how many inches.

John was thrilled one day when the producers of Three's Company (his favorite TV Show) sent him a script as guest-star on the show in early 1979. John was supposed to play Nigel Gripeweed, Mr. Furley's eccentric nephew who arrives at the Regal Beagel and hits on Chrissie and Janet. When Furley mistakenly thinks that Nigel (John Lennon) is secretly in love with Jack, he goes ballstic and the whole show ends with Jack accidentally hitting Furley with the kitchen door and knocking him cold. The show's closing credits end with Nigel Gripeweed (Lennon) playing the chords to "Jealous Guy" as Jack, Chrissie, and Janet sing along.

Just out of curiosity, Does anybody remember the show "Hart to Hart" starring Stephanie Powers and Robert Wagner that premiered on ABC in 1980? It was about two reculsive millionaries who act as private detectives. Well, originally, those roles were written for John Lennon and Yoko Ono. And it was supposed to be called: Lennon to Lennon in a bag. It mainly centered around two radical sixties revolutionaries who act as private detectives uncovering high crimes and misdeamners around the world. John seriously considered acting in the pilot in mid 1980 and was anxiously to act again like he did in How I won the War. Lennon was psyched to do his own stunts and was thrilled when best Friend Peter Boyle was offered the role of Lionel, their loyal butler. John was excited but Yoko wanted to sing in at least half of the episodes. In the pilot, she insisted on singing "I'm Your angel" in a cabaret number that sent ABC execs in a tizzy.

Lennon wanted guest-stars like Abbie Hoffman, Frank Zappa, Elton John, and even former President Richard Nixon to appear on the show.

Sadly, the whole thing feel apart when Yoko insisted on a three part episode dealing with her ex-husband Tony Cox and her daughter Kyoko. ABC refused her request to film several episodes in Japan. Sadly, it was John's ultimate decision to consider the part that made him rush back into the studio and back into the public eye. Sadly, one of the last scripts that Lennon read was the pilot to "Magnum, PI" which he nearly considered. Billy Preston was supposed to star as Roger the helicopter pilot and George Martin the part of the Valet. And Bob Guen as his best friend. John was pysched to act again but sadly - Yoko sent him on thet trip to Bermuda...and you know the rest.
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Chris Speers » Sun Dec 08, 2002 3:26 am

If John took these scripts and went to Hollywood, i truly believed he could have been a big Sitcom star in the 70's. Who knows? things must have turned out different. I recently bumped into Joyce Dewitt when i was working down-town and she confirmed that John Lennon was a huge fan of "Three's company" and was sent several scripts to guest-star. Fred Seamen also mentioned this at the trial in November with Yoko.
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Chris Speers » Thu Dec 19, 2002 7:42 pm

John and Yoko once appeared on Tic Tac Dough with Wink Martindale - If anyone has a copy of that tape, can you send it to me?

Also, JOhn once appeared on the TV show "Joker's wild" with Jack Barry - If you have a copy of that, please send it to me
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby RedRoseSpeedway » Fri Dec 20, 2002 9:51 am

I think John and Yoko were the "center square" a few times too.(Only when Paul Lynde was absent, of course.) Anybody like Gene Rayburn?
RedRoseSpeedway

Postby Steve-o » Fri Dec 20, 2002 3:32 pm

My wife always loved Gene's long skinny microphone.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Fri Dec 20, 2002 5:49 pm

quote:Originally posted by stevew628
My wife always loved Gene's long skinny microphone.

HAHA, yes. That mic RULZ!

And so totally 70s. LOL
Ram1

Postby Steve-o » Fri Dec 20, 2002 6:05 pm

Yes it was----I hear he also pulled all the birds in with his handling of it. Phallically speaking, of course. [:D]
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Chris Speers » Tue Dec 24, 2002 5:43 pm

Match Game PM - Every funny bit was .....Robin Hood liked Friar Tuck's blank...

And then somebody would say "Drum-stick" and CHarles Nelson Reilly would make some funny comment about liking his celery....Cause it was long and narrow. ..

Rest in piece Gene Rayburn - i think he died last year

Charles Nelson Reilly, Richard Dawson, Fannie Flagg, Brett Somers,
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Ram1 » Tue Dec 24, 2002 11:32 pm

quote:Originally posted by Chris Speers
And then somebody would say "Drum-stick" and CHarles Nelson Reilly would make some funny comment about liking his celery....Cause it was long and narrow. ..

CHOKE!!

Yeah man, those 70s shows like Match Game PM just OOZED sexuality. The Newlywed Game is probably the worst (or best) though. They said some stuff on that show, man.
Ram1

Next

Return to JOHN