Would John have liked Madonna to sing Imagine?

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby EddieV » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:04 am

Berkeleyan wrote:
Cologne girl wrote:
Berkeleyan wrote:I think most significant songs must be left uncovered.
John's version of "Imagine" is definitive IMHO; any covers won't move me as the original version.

Of course, everybody is entitled to their own opinion - but I think a good cover of "Imagine" is a good thing because it helps spread the message among people who maybe don't even know the original.

I think one characteristic of many good songs is precisely that they cannot be entirely messed up even by covering them. Or do you think that all the zillions of covers of "Yesterday" are rubbish?

Hey Koln girl, you have a point, fair and square. But I'm a "purist" when it comes to have other artists cover a classic song. I really don'r care for cover versions, with rare exceptions: for instance I love Joey Ramone's cover of "What a beatiful world" as an all out rocker ! So I'm not completed biased towards original versions of classic songs....

There was this concert after 9/11 where Neil Young sang Imagine very much the same way John did. Very good. Just piano!!
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Berkeleyan » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:34 am

Young's version may have worked, simply because he's a humanitarian who composes lots of songs w/ social comentary showing he cares about social issues.
The Love You Take is Equal to the Love You Make
Berkeleyan
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby Scott Dossett » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:20 am

EddieV wrote:
Berkeleyan wrote:
Cologne girl wrote:
Berkeleyan wrote:I think most significant songs must be left uncovered.
John's version of "Imagine" is definitive IMHO; any covers won't move me as the original version.

Of course, everybody is entitled to their own opinion - but I think a good cover of "Imagine" is a good thing because it helps spread the message among people who maybe don't even know the original.

I think one characteristic of many good songs is precisely that they cannot be entirely messed up even by covering them. Or do you think that all the zillions of covers of "Yesterday" are rubbish?

Hey Koln girl, you have a point, fair and square. But I'm a "purist" when it comes to have other artists cover a classic song. I really don'r care for cover versions, with rare exceptions: for instance I love Joey Ramone's cover of "What a beatiful world" as an all out rocker ! So I'm not completed biased towards original versions of classic songs....

There was this concert after 9/11 where Neil Young sang Imagine very much the same way John did. Very good. Just piano!!

My favorite is Neil Young's version also. He actually looked like he was trying real hard and he even hit the high notes without shattering my TV screen.
Scott Dossett

Postby Steve-o » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:17 pm

Madonna singing Imagine is about as relevant as Madonna acting. 'Nuff said. She's a pathetic cliche who cant stand the fact that her looks are fading faster than her album sales AND her popularity.
How Come No One Older Than Me Ever Seems To Understand The Things I Wanna To Do?
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby BeatleBabe » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:26 pm

Sorry but nobody compares to John singing Imagine. It doesn't work any other way.
What are you doing on the floor?
I'm tired
BeatleBabe

Postby Rene » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:46 pm

BeatleBabe wrote:Sorry but nobody compares to John singing Imagine. It doesn't work any other way.

My point exactly!!
I don't really love the song to be honest, but it is John. Thats all, John in the form of a song. It's all his.
"If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal." John Lennon

http://www.myspace.com/amazedrene
Rene
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mini » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:38 pm

I think Madonna is a great artist and has some classic albums in her catalogue. I don't have a problem with her covering Imagine as she is the outspoken type that doesn't mind a backlash.

I agree with Mike about the cross thing though. How that ties into her last album, I can't "imagine" but it's obviously for the sake of controversy.
Mini

Postby wiseblood » Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:25 pm

Imagine a world where a woman could buy babies from Africa
where she puts out shitty album after shitty album and gay men still love her
where she wants to wear 1980s workout outfits while being close to 50

i hate this hag and she needs to leave these songs alone. i hate it when most artists do beatle-related covers...it makes my skin crawl...
wiseblood

Postby james1985 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:42 am

wiseblood wrote:Imagine a world where a woman could buy babies from Africa
where she puts out shitty album after shitty album and gay men still love her
where she wants to wear 1980s workout outfits while being close to 50

i hate this hag and she needs to leave these songs alone. i hate it when most artists do beatle-related covers...it makes my skin crawl...

:shock:
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby stylegurrl » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:24 am

I heard Madge's version of Imagine and it was embarassing. She warbled her way through it. Her voice is not suited to the song at all. Artists should only cover a song if they are able to do it justice-otherwise it is an insult to the original person who sang it.
stylegurrl

PreviousNext

Return to JOHN