Imagine

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Imagine

Postby Girl4Beats » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:42 pm

I like the song Imagine. But he had other songs equally good. Why Imagine? Because it is played on the radio to death. Just like Paul's Set Lists. This forum has complained about that. Change songs. So some don't care for the lyrics in Imagine. Fine. I always thought they were a little strange but then I like Silly Love Songs (not the song but the thought).

John Lennon has grown into a Cult Figure. You try living without possessions. You try living without Spirit. I don't think any human can. At least any human living in a so called civilized society. Can't be done. Take the song for what it is, A Great Song. BEEN THERE. DONE THAT. MOVE ON.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby efghijiloveyou » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:26 am

Nice thoughts, G4B.
James...what makes you think being political means "burning down churches", "seizing factories" or "hating your parents"? Politics can be ugly if you make them so, but politics literally means "the theory and practice of government" . Isn't that what's at the heart of the song? John is saying "imagine..", yes, but then he lists his ideas about what would be a perfect world . Ideas...ideology...see? He's not saying "Imagine there's no tv dinners". He's talking about grand ideas and dressing them up in a nice melody and delivering it in a non-confrontational, commecial way. He may not be banging on your front door, but he is being political. You know, I love John's music more than you can know and I'm glad we can have a friendly conversation about it here, so we might have to agree to disagree on this one. :-??
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby efghijiloveyou » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:53 pm

I'm wondering if anyone can verify this as something John Lennon once said. According to a website called "The Unreported", John said: "The song "Imagine", which says imagine there was no more religion, no more country, no more politics is virtually the communist manifesto, even though I am not particularly a communist and I do not belong to any movement. You see "Imagine" was exactly the same message, but sugar-coated. Now, "Imagine" is a big hit almost everywhere; an anti-religious, anti-nationalistic, anti-conventional, anti-capitalistic song, but because it's sugar-coated it's accepted". I always recognized it as such, but I don't remember seeing a statement like this from John. The article went on to say that Lennon later renounced the song, as he was seeing the world more clearly, politically speaking, by the late seventies. Indeed I have heard that John even supported the election of Ronald Reagan!
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Previous

Return to JOHN