Imagine

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Imagine

Postby Steve-o » Sun Sep 08, 2002 10:34 am

A great improvement over POB, and has some great songs, although he royally pissed me off with How DO You Sleep? LOL. At the time, and this hurts me to say it, critics loved this about 5 times more than Ram, released several months earlier. I think Ram was underappreciated when it came out and this was one the opposite. Hindsight tells us that Ram is awesome and this one is very very good. And by the way, Oh My Love and Jealous Guy are mini masterpieces, IMHO.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Imagine

Postby Steve-o » Sun Sep 08, 2002 10:34 am

A great improvement over POB, and has some great songs, although he royally pissed me off with How DO You Sleep? LOL. At the time, and this hurts me to say it, critics loved this about 5 times more than Ram, released several months earlier. I think Ram was underappreciated when it came out and this was one the opposite. Hindsight tells us that Ram is awesome and this one is very very good. And by the way, Oh My Love and Jealous Guy are mini masterpieces, IMHO.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Sun Sep 08, 2002 10:43 am

Agree. Especially Jealous Guy. What a powerful song. And I never tire of hearing Gimme Some Truth. But I'd still take RAM anyday.
Ram1

Postby Steve-o » Sun Sep 08, 2002 10:51 am

Yes...and geez, I forgot to mention the title track. I probably have heard it so many times that I take it for granted and forget how powerful and awesome it is.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Sun Sep 08, 2002 11:45 am

Right, Steve. That's the "curse" of masterpieces. You become so used to hearing them that often times you take them for granted.
Ram1

Postby Steve-o » Tue Sep 10, 2002 12:12 am

quote:Originally posted by Ram1
Right, Steve. That's the "curse" of masterpieces. You become so used to hearing them that often times you take them for granted.
Good point, Ram. There are a bunch of them with the Beatles and their solo careers. If you take ANY other band in the history of Rock, you can't come up with one that has as many great songs album to album as the Beatles. Very few dogs, and amazing output. They spoiled me forever.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr. kite » Tue Sep 10, 2002 3:34 am

The album is considered as John's best solo output. I go for Oh Yoko and Crippled Inside. Oh My Love is in the same level of Julia.
mr. kite
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby dsnito » Tue Sep 10, 2002 9:56 am

I think "Imagine" the song, the most inspired Lennon's song... Beautiful melody, and I wondered that John played all the piano chords, he really surpassed himself on piano playing. The lyric is an utopic hymn, and peaceful for sure. I ever LOVE and never get tired to hear that!![^]

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby dsnito » Tue Sep 10, 2002 10:07 am

As for the album itself, I think it's GREAT, but NOT the best for me.
I LOVE "Jealous Guy", another track I never get tired. Except for "I Don't Wanna Be a Soldier" I like all of songs.

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Steve-o » Tue Sep 10, 2002 3:28 pm

quote:Originally posted by dsnito
Except for "I Don't Wanna Be a Soldier" I like all of songs.
Same here, NITO!![|)][|)]
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to JOHN