Walls & Bridges

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby dakota » Mon Sep 09, 2002 7:57 pm

I love that LP!. My only complaints are that it's a little too over-produced sounding and the LP could of use another rocker.
dakota

Postby Steve-o » Mon Sep 09, 2002 8:58 pm

quote:Originally posted by dakota
I love that LP!. My only complaints are that it's a little too over-produced sounding and the LP could of use another rocker.
Yes---has that slick LA feel to it, I guess. Definately another rocker would have been appreciated.[:D]
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr. kite » Wed Sep 11, 2002 2:40 am

Thanks guys. I never thought that in the LP, the cover has flaps that can be manipulated. I only have the CD and now I feel that I have to look for the LP.
mr. kite
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Man Tissa » Mon Dec 09, 2002 10:00 pm

I like the production on this album...much more cleaner than BOTR...a great sounding album for 1974... probably needed a couple of genuine rockers to counterpoint WGYTTN and the mellower stuff on there... What You Got is ok but it needed a Cold Turkey or an Instant Karma...and as usual a great rock'n'roll voice...brilliant vocal deliveries on these songs especially Bless You and Nobody Loves You..
Man Tissa

Postby DylansMrJones » Mon Feb 17, 2003 9:01 pm

Perhaps this will too be remastered, and the addition of MOVE OVER MS.L would be a great bonus track, since the song was dropped from the album at the last minute. I'd like to see both the original single B side version of MS L included, as well as a great outtake version I once had wherein John sings the song in his Dylan parody voice on a few lines.

For me, PLASTIC ONO BAND and WALLS AND BRIDGES were John's best solo albums.
DylansMrJones

Postby DylansMrJones » Mon Feb 17, 2003 9:02 pm

Oh, yes...and few of John's mellow songs are as cool as BLESS YOU. What a gorgeous song!
DylansMrJones

Postby dsnito » Tue Feb 18, 2003 10:00 am

I like too much "Old Dirt Road" with Harry Nilsson's partnership , that's a beautiful tune and also the lyrics...

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby dsnito » Fri Mar 14, 2003 11:17 pm

I read a Lennon´s interview where he told that he wrote "Nobody Loves You" especially to Frank Sinatra perform it, but he refused... was that really true?? Did John really send the song to Frank sing it?? Or maybe was he kidding??

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Gastro (gone) » Wed Apr 23, 2003 1:28 am

quote:Originally posted by stevew628
The release also made me wonder (at the time) whether or not the success of Band On The Run made John work a bit harder on the actual Lyrics on this one--(Mind Game's lyrics being abysmal--at least some of them). This one represents some finely crafted material, more up to Lennon's standards. I think he, FAR more than Paul, suffered from the the breakup of the writing partnership. You gotta have great melodies---and Paul was and still is a master. I think that factor is missing in much of Lennon's solo work.

Paul lives for music there's no doubt about that but I don't think John suffered much at all compared to Paul. It would be fairer to compare pre-75 because that's when John stopped writing. Paul really only has one classic album and that's BOTR whereas John is generally acknowledged as having two, POB and Imagine. Also if you compare their greatest hits compilations Shaved Fish, Wings Greatest, Lennon Legend and All the Best or Wingspan John more than matches Paul. On DF and M&H songs like Beautiful Boy and GOAWM are as meoldic as anything Paul had done at the time. It's a fruitless argument this John vs Paul debate. You're comparing two equally gifted masters... but it is fascinating though.
Gastro (gone)

Postby Steve-o » Wed Apr 23, 2003 7:13 am

I think McCartney and Ram can be considered "classic" if POB can. And BOTR was stronger than Imagine. No doubt on both of these points. Disagree with you on this one--BIG TIME. Pre-75, Paul shredded John. Wingspan has just so many better songs than Shaved Fish or any other compilation you wanna throw out there, gastro. Yes..they both had lows (NYC, Mind Games, WIld Life) during this period, but the songs tell the story. Macca over JLen by a long shot, when comparing 70-75. If you wanna compare 62-66, John wins hands down. 66-69, Paul again. Yes--it is fruitless to compare, but Lennon did suffer from lack of melody after the breakup.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to JOHN