Walls & Bridges

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Walls & Bridges

Postby Steve-o » Sun Sep 08, 2002 9:45 am

Great cover, first off. The original back cover featured multiple flaps to create your own funny Lennon face. The album was SO much better than Mind Games, I was very happy at the time. Had a few hit singles, but my fave song is Steel and Glass about the viper, Allen Klien. Also features Julian's recording debut (on drums, no less, LOL). Some strong vocals at times---others were obviously booze-infested, LOL.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Steve-o » Sun Sep 08, 2002 9:55 am

The release also made me wonder (at the time) whether or not the success of Band On The Run made John work a bit harder on the actual Lyrics on this one--(Mind Game's lyrics being abysmal--at least some of them). This one represents some finely crafted material, more up to Lennon's standards. I think he, FAR more than Paul, suffered from the the breakup of the writing partnership. You gotta have great melodies---and Paul was and still is a master. I think that factor is missing in much of Lennon's solo work.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Steve-o » Sun Sep 08, 2002 9:57 am

And to be fair, some of John's wit and bite might have made a few of Paul's MID-EARLY (Wild Life, RRS) solo songs better. But make no mistake. The suffering from not having the other as a writing partner is about an 85-15 split--Paul missed John far less than vice versa. And the funny thing is, in their own MINDS, it was probably the other way around. But look who had the superior solo career pre-Dec 1980. Hands down winner is Macca. Paul has proven that he can write without JL over and over, even as early as when they were writing basically on their own in the last few years of the Beatles.
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram1 » Sun Sep 08, 2002 10:11 am

Agree with you 100% percent, Steve. After the breakup, John's melodies considerably went down. Whether he realized it or not, his music was really missing Macca's touch.
Ram1

Postby Steve-o » Sun Sep 08, 2002 10:24 am

The funny thing about this album is John's pseudonyms on the crdits of each song.

Dr Winston O'Ghurkin
John St. John Johnson
Rev. Thumbs Ghurkin (on piano, of course)
Kaptain Kundalini
Rev. Fred Ghurkin
Mel Torment
Dr. Dream
Dr Winston O'Reggae
Dr Winston and Booker table and the Maitre d's
Dwark McDougal
Dad (strangely enough on YAYA, lol)
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby dsnito » Sun Sep 08, 2002 7:15 pm

Hi fellows!! How´s your Sunday??
Steve - Well, I see that you wanted to comment each John´s album separately!! Good!!
I think the "W&B"´s cover is great, the vinyl LP version, I have to stand out. That CD version cover don´t have the same effect of LP version absolutely, otherwise, none CD version´s cover has the same attraction of LP version´s.
The cover flaps that form various Lennon faces was a good idea, as well as his sketches when he was 11, are very interesting. The booklet of lyrics was also well produced.

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby dsnito » Sun Sep 08, 2002 7:26 pm

And yes!! The pseudonyms are funny indeed... from where he digged those??LOL!!
The W&B big hit "WGYTTN" is a brighten song, with Elton on piano(and organ!)that gave an special touch on that. They really did a good partnership.

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby dsnito » Sun Sep 08, 2002 7:35 pm

And I can´t forget about Bobby Keys that played sax so well on that song. He´s a great sax player indeed!! He came to Brazil with the Rolling Stones Vodoo Lounge tour in 1995 and showed his ability here.

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby dsnito » Sun Sep 08, 2002 7:47 pm

Another song I like on this album is "#9 Dream", a beautiful melody!!
Beautiful orchestration and arrangements, great Ken Ascher´s conducing.

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Steve-o » Sun Sep 08, 2002 8:53 pm

Yes NITO..There's JL's fave number again.......
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to JOHN