Two Virgins

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Liam OSM » Fri Sep 06, 2002 9:02 am

quote:Originally posted by stevew628
They both got the shaft.

Is that a wise thing to say when talking about this particular album cover? [;)][;)]
Liam OSM
Gold member :)

Postby Liam OSM » Fri Sep 06, 2002 9:08 am

Sorry, I couldn't help it, it just popped out (oops - I shouldn't have said that, either!) [:0]
Liam OSM

Postby Ram1 » Fri Nov 15, 2002 10:14 am

quote:Originally posted by stevew628
I was moving some junk around yesterday, and came upon the HUGELY scary site of this album cover. Yeah...I know. It has a brown wrapper---I didnt need to take it out, but it's like a train wreck. I pulled it out of it's sleeve, and YIKES!!!! Someone get a a few towels and perhaps a hose while your at it. PUKE ALERT!

LOL!! I feel sorry for you, man. I know that must have been a traumatic experience. LOL
Ram1

Postby DylansMrJones » Sun Nov 24, 2002 11:27 pm

I get a kick out of what Ringo says about TWO VIRGINS in the ANTHOLOGY book. John showed him the cover I guess to say "What do you think of me album cover Ritchie?" and Ringo says he said "Oh! I see you've got the Times there" completely avoiding the full frontal nudity. (The Times is a newspaper in England, seen on the cover of the album)

John & Yoko put out a few rather unlistenable albums in the beginning. TWO VIRGINS was the first. LIFE WITH THE LIONS and WEDDING ALBUM were next. Three horrible songless albums that made REVOLUTION 9 and WHAT'S THE NEW MARY JANE sound like BEETHOVEN'S SYMPHONY NO.9.
After hearing those, I'm amazed that I even bothered with JOHN LENNON/PLASTIC ONO BAND. I was so glad to hear real songs on that album!
DylansMrJones

Postby Liam OSM » Mon Nov 25, 2002 5:45 am

I'm sure you're exaggerating - the stuff on STINYC, I am sure, is on a par with Two Virgins and that lot - but nothing could make Mary Jane and Rev9 sound great.
Liam OSM

Postby Aujouret » Mon Nov 25, 2002 6:15 am

I've listened to all three of those albums many many times. I enjoy them.
I love sound collages.
I loved Paul's preshow too.
Of course, Paul was doing avante guarde before John anyway.
Aujouret
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Ram1 » Mon Nov 25, 2002 10:19 am

quote:Originally posted by Liam OSM
I'm sure you're exaggerating - the stuff on STINYC, I am sure, is on a par with Two Virgins and that lot - but nothing could make Mary Jane and Rev9 sound great.

Disagree. I think Mary Jane is a really cool song.
Ram1

Postby Liam OSM » Mon Nov 25, 2002 11:17 am

Well, there's some interesting bits to it, and it may have sounded good had it progressed to a finished product, but the track I have on Anthology could use a lot doing to it. Interesting isn't good enough at times.
Liam OSM

Postby Ram1 » Mon Nov 25, 2002 11:19 am

quote:Originally posted by Liam OSM
Well, there's some interesting bits to it, and it may have sounded good had it progressed to a finished product, but the track I have on Anthology could use a lot doing to it. Interesting isn't good enough at times.

That was the whole point of Anthology, wasn't it? To release unfinished, rare, and demo-like material for the fans to enjoy. And I quite enjoy it myself.
Ram1

Postby Liam OSM » Mon Nov 25, 2002 11:33 am

I do agree on that front, but I just feel it's futile comparing these demos/alternate takes as they stand, for the most part, to the finished works. Mary Jane, for instance, could never stand up to say Blackbird.

Of course there's always exceptions, such as the alternate version of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", say. A very interesting slant that had it been released like that would have been at least as good as what we did get in 1968 (now I'm talking like I was there at the time, uh-oh).
Liam OSM

PreviousNext

Return to JOHN