Lennon reveals all in new tapes

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby ANGRY » Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:52 am

quite true, james...and if my vaguely fading memory serves me correctly, by the time double fantasy hit, johns attitude about alot of things had changed...the album, itself seems more calm. rather than dwell on whether the beatles could ever had gotten back together, i'd prefer to think, that if john had not been taken, he would have come around on so many things (esp. julian)...and that might've led to a better relationship with his former bandmates. (esp. paul) as i remember, this isn't the only interview from that time where he disses on his old chums: by '80...the cold war might've finally been thawing in pepperland. if only...
ANGRY
Silver member
Silver member

Postby I am the Paulrus » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:41 am

The Wenner Tapes
Hear the definitive John Lennon interview - first ever UK broadcast:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/go/radio4/int/-/ra ... rchivehour
ImageImage
I am the Paulrus
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Florance » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:01 am

Is this another interview than the published Rolling Stone interviews?
Florance

Postby maccastheman » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:35 pm

james1985 wrote:it was 1970!!!! of course he's not gonna be nice!! he was completely messed up in the head + heroin + his band breaking up

Well said!!! And Jann Wenner acts like it's the gospel truth and Lennon really felt that way all of the time, etc. I grow to despise Jann Wenner more and more day after day. (But I still get his magazine at home :? )
Wenner hates Macca (even though he was on the cover of his magazine recently) and loves Jagger/Lennon. His biases are so obvious it's comical.
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:33 pm

ANGRY wrote:quite true, james...and if my vaguely fading memory serves me correctly, by the time double fantasy hit, johns attitude about alot of things had changed...the album, itself seems more calm. rather than dwell on whether the beatles could ever had gotten back together, i'd prefer to think, that if john had not been taken, he would have come around on so many things (esp. julian)...and that might've led to a better relationship with his former bandmates. (esp. paul) as i remember, this isn't the only interview from that time where he disses on his old chums: by '80...the cold war might've finally been thawing in pepperland. if only...

And John had played I Saw Her Standing There live in 74, i think it was, so even by then he wasn't expressing the same opinions. Macca was not as willing to be as openly anti-the other beatles in 1970. That's just their different characters, i suppose
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby ANGRY » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:37 am

guess i musta missed that "wenner hates macca" boat: i saw wenner interviewed on an a.m. talk show today, and he went out of his way to point out that this was 1970 and that it was NOT typical of how john felt about anybody, ex-beatle or otherwise. that it was a product of that particular moment.
ANGRY
Silver member
Silver member

Postby maccastheman » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:15 am

ANGRY wrote:guess i musta missed that "wenner hates macca" boat: i saw wenner interviewed on an a.m. talk show today, and he went out of his way to point out that this was 1970 and that it was NOT typical of how john felt about anybody, ex-beatle or otherwise. that it was a product of that particular moment.

It's not just just this one incident - every time he interviews '60s legends, ie Jagger, etc, he goes out of his way to diss Macca. Look up some of his old interviews - he's not a fan of Macca's solo career. In that long, exhaustive interview he did with Jagger about 10 years ago, Wenner kept on talking up Lennon to the point Jagger started laughing at him. Wenner was saying things like, "Since you were basically the Rolling Stones and Lennon was basically the Beatles..." (Okay, not those exact words, but close) Jagger kept correcting him and saying, "I'm in a partnership [with Richards], and John was in a partnership [with Paul]." Like I said, it was comical. Jagger couldn't stop laughing at him. (Plus I think Jagger knows Wenner has a huge crush on him anyway and that was part of the reason he was laughing at him)
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Previous

Return to JOHN