New compilation CD from John

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

New compilation CD from John

Postby EddieV » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:03 pm

Just went by the local recordstore on my way home from work and to my surprise a new 2 CD best of John is standing there.

Is it because of John 65 years old birthday or is it because Yoko has spent to much on drugs lately?? It is really not nessecary with another best of!!
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Blueraspberry » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:39 am

I was surprised to discover this comp as well, especially considering that i'm usually pretty "up" on any new releases. This one seems to have been released almost secretly. While I do agree that releasing yet another complilation is really starting to get silly (we already have Shaved Fish, John Lennon Collection, the Lennon box and the Ultimate Collection), I'd have to say by looking at the track that this one (Working Class Hero) is probably the most SATISFYING. I would strongly encourage any newbie starting out to pick this double-CD up first.

I'm surprised they didn't put a few unreleased tracks on there to give it some more marketing value. Otherwise, I don't think this one is going to sell particularly well.
Blueraspberry

Postby james1985 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:47 am

plus it's all mixed up, not in chronological order. That means new fans (who i oresume this is aimed at) won't get any sense of progression. For all they know, Woman could be on the same album as Mother!

I think this is more for yoko's new kitchen than anything else!!!
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby RickStark79 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:11 am

I think it's a good compilation for a new fan who is discovering John's solo music for the first time. It's got all of the bases covered. Bless You, Scared, Come Together (Live) and You Are Here are stretches for any kind of best of compilation. Steel And Glass and I Found Out would've been better choices, but even those aren't necessary. And I think the fact that Yoko had to scrape for a two-disc best of set speaks volumes about John's career in comparison to Paul's.
RickStark79
Supporter
Supporter

Return to JOHN