Lennon's scrawled lyrics may fetch £200,000

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby I am the Paulrus » Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:40 am

Aug 31 2005

By Sam Lister, Daily Post Staff

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/...-name_page.html

The John Lennon words that are worth a fortune.

A PHONE bill demanding £12.15 from John Lennon will set back one of his fans at least £200,000.

The letter asking him to pay the outstanding amount has become one of the most expensive items to go under the hammer at a London auction next month, because the former Beatle scrawled the lyrics of one of the band's classic tracks on the back.

The original working draft for I'm Only Sleeping contains numerous crossingsout and amendments as Lennon struggled to come up with just the right words for what was to become the third track on the groundbreaking 1966 album Revolver.

The 17 lines, mostly in blue pen, were written on the reverse of a final demand from the GPO for Lennon's pre-decimal car phone bill of 12 £3 shillings - the equivalent of £12.15 in today's money.

Jerry Goldman, director of The Beatles Story, said: "Hand-written lyrics, particularly by John Lennon, are always much sought after.

"The value seems quite high but the value of these items is always very unpredictable. It's a great find."

It is dated April 25, 1966, and shows he must have had one of the first car phones in Britain.

At the time of the Revolver album, which also featured classic tracks such as Taxman, Eleanor Rigby and Yellow Submarine, Lennon was living with first wife Cynthia, three-year-old son Julian and five cats in Wey-bridge, Surrey.

He later gave the draft lyrics for I'm Only Sleeping to a male friend, who refuses to be named, and he has now decided to offer them for sale at a Christie's pop memorabilia auction in London on September 28.

I'm Only Sleeping was Lennon's first song on the Revolver album, which shows the Beatles at the peak of their creativity.

The document shows Lennon was toying with two titles for the I'm Only Sleeping track. He has crossed out the opening line "Try to sleep again" and replaced it with "Got to get to sleep."

At the same sale the only existing recording of the Beatles concert at the Princess Theatre in Kowloon, Hong Kong, on June 9, 1964, prior to their Australasian tour, is expected to go for £40,000.

It was recorded by a free-lance journalist in the audience using a portable tape recorder.

A previously unheard and undocumented recording of an hour-long interview with Lennon and second wife Yoko Ono at the Bed-In For Peace in Montreal, Canada, on May 26, 1969, is estimated at £15,000 to £20,000.

The interview, by free-lance journalist Ken Seymour, was never aired and has been locked away in a trunk for 36 years.

A spokeswoman for Chris-tie's said: "There has been a lot of interest in the auction, particularly the phone bill.

"Beatles memorabilia is always a favourite."
ImageImage
I am the Paulrus
Silver member
Silver member

Postby I am the Paulrus » Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:15 am

ImageImage
I am the Paulrus
Silver member
Silver member

Postby I am the Paulrus » Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:46 pm

Rare Beatles lyrics fail to sell

Wednesday, 28 September 2005

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainmen ... 289104.stm

John Lennon's handwritten lyrics for the Beatles song I'm Only Sleeping have failed to sell at auction.
They were tipped to fetch more than £200,000 when they were offered for sale in London on Wednesday.

The first draft, written on the back of a phone bill, was part of a memorabilia auction at Christie's, in Kensington.

A spokeswoman for Christie's said the auction house was "surprised and disappointed" that bids failed to reach the reserve price.

Catsuit

Other lots in the sale included a previously unheard interview with Lennon and his wife Yoko Ono, which went for £18,000 to an anonymous buyer.

The interview was recorded at their "Bed-In for Peace" protest in Montreal in May 1969. According to Christie's, the hour-long tape was never broadcast and has been locked away in a trunk ever since.

Written in blue felt pen on the reverse of a final demand from the Post Office, the working draft for I'm Only Sleeping is briefer than the final recorded version.

It also shows considerable deletions, alterations and variations to the text as Lennon worked out the song's wording and title.

The track would eventually feature on the Beatles' 1966 Revolver album alongside such classics as Eleanor Rigby, Yellow Submarine and Good Day Sunshine.

Fans could also bid for a George Harrison banjo, a catsuit once worn by Queen singer Freddie Mercury, and an acoustic guitar given to Noel Gallagher by Sony Records in 1995 to mark the success of Oasis' second album.

A document from Nems Enterprises, signed in January, 1967, by Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison, Ringo Starr and manager Brian Epstein sold for £19,200.

It is thought to be one of the last to be signed by all four Beatles and Epstein. The manager died seven months later.

A rare LP cover of the White Album LP cover fetched £9,000 - three times its original estimate.
ImageImage
I am the Paulrus
Silver member
Silver member

Return to JOHN