"John & Yoko" documentary on CBC in Sept.

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

"John & Yoko" documentary on CBC in Sept.

Postby I am the Paulrus » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:36 pm

For those of you who live in Canada and along the northern border states in America that get the CBC on the telly, i saw a promo they ran for a series of documentaries they are going to be showing call The September Doc (documentary) Fest. Amongst the titles of the documentaries they will be showing is one called "John & Yoko". No info on this yet or airdate for it. But will keep you posted on it. Just to avoid any confusion, this will not be the made-for-tv movie called "John and Yoko: A love Story" that they will be showing.
ImageImage
I am the Paulrus
Silver member
Silver member

Postby I am the Paulrus » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:49 am

got this info from a fellow fan who emailed this to me. thanks to them for it:

air date will be Tuesday September 27 at 8pm:

"I have just received word from film-maker Paul McGrath that his
documentary
on the 1969 bed-in, "John and Yoko: Give Peace A Song", airs as a CBC
Special on Tuesday Sept 27 at 8 p.m. Amnesty's 2004 bed-in anniversary
will
be featured, alongside interviews with Justin Trudeau, Donald Tarlton
and
Yoko Ono."
ImageImage
I am the Paulrus
Silver member
Silver member

Postby I am the Paulrus » Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:53 am

TV Alert: The CBC production of "John & Yoko: Give Peace A Song" airs on September 27, 8:00 p.m.!!

http://beatles.ncf.ca/news.html

What promises to be one of the best made-for-television documentaries on the recording of "Give Peace A Chance", the programs producer Paul McGrath of the CBC in an e-mail correspondence to John Whelan reveals some details as to what Beatle fans can expect from the CBC television broadcast:

"Yes broadcast date is Sept 27 at 8 p.m. The documentary is called John and Yoko: Give Peace A Song. It is a record of the day Give Peace A Chance was born and of the song's further evolution into 2005. It is chock full of rare and first-time pictures. We have John [and] Yoko's out-takes of the day's events, the footage not used in the Bed-In movie, donated by Yoko.

"We have more new stuff from the CBC vaults, an appearance by the only moving picture record of Pete Seeger singing the song to c. 400,000 people at the Vietnam Mobilation in Nov 1969. That many people waving their arms and singing one song is goose-bump material. (That Seeger performance is what gave the song its status in the peace movement and is to a large degree why it is still sung today.)

"We have a killer George Harrison cameo appearance on the Smothers Brothers show from Nov 15\68 which I believe has not been seen since it was broadcast. (Actually, you might be able to tell me whether that little snippet is out there on the web. I've seen many references to its existence but no indication that anybody has ever seen it since 1968. If not, fire up the recorders on Sept 27.)"

Paul McGrath, who previously produced the highly acclaimed "John and Yoko's Year of Peace" for the CBC which aired in 2002, makes note of the important appearance that Yoko Ono made in the program. Said McGrath: "She gave us such an eloquent interview that for minutes at a time the doc is in her hands. I believe she gave us the longest interview on camera, simply because she kept talking (as handed any media in more than a decade.) We were promised 20 minutes and went one hour and 20 minutes."

According to McGrath, we'll also see "Interviews as well with Tom Smothers, Andre Perry and tons of people you've never heard before, each of them with a killer story about how they happened to be seated around the bed that day for the recording."

Broadcast time: "John & Yoko: Give Peace A Song", September 27, 8:00 p.m., Eastern Standard Time. Viewers in different time zones should consult their local listings. Depending on location, American viewers living close to the Canada/USA border might be able to pick up the broadcast.

© The Ottawa Beatles Site. Websites may reprint this information provided they credit the Ottawa Beatles Site.
ImageImage
I am the Paulrus
Silver member
Silver member

Return to JOHN