Good idea, this John questionnaire . I'll try and answer as best I can:
1. Which John album is your favourite? Can't make up my mind between "Wall & Bridges" and "Double Fantasy".
2. Favourite opener on a John album? "Starting Over" (works lyric-wise as well)
3. Which John song do you most identify with your own life, or how you feel? At the moment, it is "Woman Is the Nigger of the World"- maybe in a couple of decades (if I get that far), it'll be "Watching the Wheels"
4. Do you skip the Yoko tracks on John's albums? Normally I do.
5. Do you cringe when you hear people cover Imagine? Depends if it is a good or a bad version. If it is a good one, I even appreciate people keeping the idea behind it "alive".
6. Do you think Yoko had a massive creative impact on John's music? Yes, because John's music was generally very much influenced by his personal life and during years Yoko was the most important "aspect" of his life. If the influence was for better or for worse, is a different question; I suppose, as usual, there's a bit of both.
7. Favourite solo John rocker? Definitely NEW YORK CITY - could listen to it for ages on end...
8. Favourite John ballad? It's between "Jealous Guy" and "Woman".
9. Which John songs do you think would be immensely improved if they were recorded in a different way? Can't think of any - I think John, at least on the records he released during his lifetime from "POB" onwards, dunno the pre-"POB" avant-garde stuff, never had the problem Macca occasionally suffers from, the unfinished-sounding arrangements. I don't remember if he did them himself or if he got some help, whatever it was, it was cleverly done. You note the difference when you listen to the posthumously released "Acoustic" album - at least to me it is for the most part proof that the original releases were good as they were (like if you listen to the Spice Girls to remind yourself why you like the Rolling Stones )
10. Describe John in one word: Human.
11. Have you heard 'The Wedding Album' or 'Life With The Lions'? Nope - these things are usually not my cup of tea.
12. Which years do you think John was at his songwriting peak? Extremely difficult to tell - outside the Beatles perhaps the "Walls & Bridges" period (was it 1974?), but maybe I go for this period because I like it best - sorry, really can't tell
13. Which Wings or solo Macca song(s) do you think would suit John's lead vocal? Can't think of any, not even "Let Me Roll It", which is supposed to be his most "Lennonesque" song. Again, it's my personal problem - I cringe at the idea of most Macca songs being done by John and vice versa; perhaps it's because I'm getting on :lol: I was actually surprised how well George's "Something" and "ATMP" sung by Macca and "I Saw Her..." sung by John worked. Maybe I don't have sufficient imagination for imagining these things...
14. Favourite line in a John song? There's so many; I'll take "sitting in an English garden waiting for the sun - if the sun don't come..." if that counts.
15. Have you ever worn a pair of Lennon-style 'granny glasses'? No, they wouldn't suit me.
16. As a loyal Paul fan, do you like the song "How Do You Sleep"? I don't particularly like it, not even music-wise.
17. Best vocal performance on a John song? Impossible for me to tell - his voice was great both on rockers and on ballads - perhaps my personal favourite might be his rendering of "Stand By Me" (if that counts despite being a cover)
18. What would John sound like if he was still recording today? Perhaps a bit like the Rolling Stones recording today (but better).
19. Your least favourite John song? John Sinclair - it's too repetittive. I suppose after listening to the song several times, they would set him (whoever and wherever he was) free just to make the song stop - the same way some people feel like giving some street musicians an awful amount of money just to make them stop.
20. Apart from Paul, who do you think was the most talented musician to work with John? If George doesn't count, David Bowie.