Is any of you as allergic to John as I am?

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Give me a break!

Postby mi » Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:59 am

Mini wrote:Whether you like John or not he certainly made his point because Paul became concilliatory as opposed to being antagonistic in his songs to John. eg Dear Friend from Wild Life.

It's all very well to say "War is over if you want it" when you live in a(relatively) peaceful country like England. I'd like to hear him saying it after living in Israel fot a while.
Besides, It always seemed to me like a very strange contradiction, to insult people in public like that, and then trying to teach the whole world to be peaceful and loving.
mi
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Steve-o » Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:37 am

Mini wrote:Whether you like John or not he certainly made his point because Paul became concilliatory as opposed to being antagonistic in his songs to John. eg Dear Friend from Wild Life.
Are you sure about that? Source?
How Come No One Older Than Me Ever Seems To Understand The Things I Wanna To Do?
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Rams » Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:22 am

George Harrison played guitar on that song, are you going bash him too?
Rams

Postby kylestyle » Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:07 am

Personally, I never saw anything too damning in Too Many People. I mean... you took your lucky break and broke it in two - whoooo hoooo yeah really twisting the knife in....not. :? If you were genuinely wanting to write an acerbic cutting lyric, I'm sure we could come up with something more bitter than that. Let's face it, it's hardly Eminem dissing his mom. I really don't see the big deal either way. John forgave Paul, Paul forgave John.
I needed comfort of love just to get me some piece of mind.. wo-oh
kylestyle
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby Bluebird » Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:14 am

Both were guilty. John was just a bit more cruel to Paul than vice versa but that´s just the personality. Paul wasn´t just hard enough to give lennon a revenge and what would it have helped? I think it was clever that Paul wrote "Dear Friend" to John as a peace song between them but it was also great of John to write "I know ( I know)".
You must appreciate the day...
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Maestri09 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:20 pm

Paul and John were like brothers. who else could know how to get under your skin better than a brother/sibling?

I wouldn't be surprised if john's very direct reply was indeed a reply to paul's attitude of never saying what's really on his mind but always taking a sideways approach to his points.

Take:
the release of McCartney
blackbird (compared with revolution)
comments about yoko
being "bossy", but never admitting it
Maestri09
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby nerktwin » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:45 am

I think Paul would disapprove of anyone not liking John because of whatever happened between them- Paul loved John and still does- he's a huge Lennon fan- it's okay for Paul to criticize John, but I bet he would bitch-slap anyone else for doing it- he was his best friend at one point and his partner, Paul certainly loves John even though he said some hurtful things, but John also praised Paul a lot. Don't forget it was not all venom from him, John knew Paul was a great talent and said so many times.
nerktwin

Postby mi » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:35 pm

nerktwin wrote:John knew Paul was a great talent and said so many times.

For example... :?
mi
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Ram1 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:39 pm

I think this thread is ridiculous. First of all, I think HDYS is an AWESOME song, and even though "mean-spirited", I think John's lyrics and his play on words was brilliant. As for being "mean-spirited", again as many of you have said, it was John's response to PAUL. Yes, John took it a step further, but as CG said, that's just how John was. It was his personality. SECOND of all, John's peace movements weren't "rubbish", in fact they made a huge impact on the ending of the Vietnam War. (Not TOTALLY, of course, I mean come on, John wasn't a part of the United Nations), but it did have a big impact. THIRDLY, and probably MOST important of all, John and Paul reconciled in the late 70's, before John's death, and they were both more mature by then and in some respects, probably closer in heart than ever. So, for you to say you are "sickened" or whatever by John, I think THAT is rubbish. Yes, John had a temper, (so did Paul), and some of his actions and words were inexcusable. HOWEVER, if you know the story of John Lennon's life, you know that after Sean was born and before the end of his life, he became a MUCH different person. By all accounts, he was much more peaceful (and at peace with himself), mature, an "adult", a father, and was genuinely happy with life.
October 8th, 2005....The BEST show EVER!!!!
Ram1

Postby Ram1 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:02 pm

nerktwin wrote:I think Paul would disapprove of anyone not liking John because of whatever happened between them- Paul loved John and still does- he's a huge Lennon fan- it's okay for Paul to criticize John, but I bet he would bitch-slap anyone else for doing it- he was his best friend at one point and his partner, Paul certainly loves John even though he said some hurtful things, but John also praised Paul a lot. Don't forget it was not all venom from him, John knew Paul was a great talent and said so many times.

EXACTLY. I don't think you can call yourself a true Macca fan if you totally despise John. They were MORE than "best friends", they were really like brothers. As nerktwin said, a member of a family can criticize their relative as much as they want, but if anyone ELSE criticizes their family member, the fight is on. I have some "problems" with some things John said and did in his life too, but when it comes to John and Paul's RELATIONSHIP with each other, I think you have no right. Just listen to 'Here Today.' Enough said.
October 8th, 2005....The BEST show EVER!!!!
Ram1

PreviousNext

Return to JOHN