Has John ever wrote a nice song to Paul?

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby HeyJude » Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:15 pm

I think Crippled Inside is rather about the hypocrisy of the society we're living in, not another hate-song towards Paul... :roll:
one sweet dream came true today!!!!!
4.6.2004 Leipzig
yay Anna!!!! :mrgreen:
HeyJude
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Steve-o » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:42 pm

HeyJude wrote:I think Crippled Inside is rather about the hypocrisy of the society we're living in, not another hate-song towards Paul... :roll:
Exactly, HJ. WAD. I Love it....
How Come No One Older Than Me Ever Seems To Understand The Things I Wanna To Do?
Steve-o
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Berkeleyan » Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:10 am

Yeah that's it, right on the money, as they say.
The Love You Take is Equal to the Love You Make
Berkeleyan
Gold member :)

Postby nerktwin » Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:35 am

No, I do not think John ever wrote a nice song about Paul, except for the "Walrus in Paul" line. But Paul and John had a strained relationship right up into death. In fact, two months before his death, John gave an interview where he blasted both Paul and Linda so the hostility was still there.

But George Harrison did not write a nice song about either until after John's death when he recorded "All Those Yeears Ago"- But George could be quite nasty about John and Paul. John strongly disliked both "Isn't it a Pity? and I Me Mine" which, conideration how good these songs ago, it seems like John thought the songs were being directed at him. When George did "Something" which could not be mistakenly about John, he actully loved the song and went so far as to say it was the best song aon "Abby Road."

But George wrote serveral songs about the Beatles- George plainly said that "Wah Wah" was abut Paul, and "Sue Me, Sue you Blues" about the Beatles lawsuit- George also admitted that "Not Guilty" was about John an Paul because he felt he was being blamed for leading them to the Mararishi, which they did not have a great experiece there- If you read it, you can tell who he is talking about

Not guilty
For getting in your way
While you’re trying to steal the day
Not guilty
And I’m not here for the rest
I’m not trying to steal your vest.

I am not trying to be smart
I only want what I can get
I’m really sorry for your ageing head
But like you heard me said
Not guilty.

Not guilty
For being on your street
Getting underneath your feet
Not guilty
No use handing me a writ
While I’m trying to do my bit.

I don’t expect to take your heart . . .
I’m really sorry that you’re underfed . . .
But like you heard me said . . .
Not guilty.

Not guilty
For looking like a freak
Making friends with every sikh
Not guilty
For leading you astray
On the road to mandalay.

I won’t upset the apple cart
I’m really sorry that you’ve been misled . . .
But like you heard me said . . .
Not guilty.
nerktwin

Postby Cologne girl » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:30 pm

I remember a line of George's about John and Paul on the "Anthology" DVD, where he says about the Apple thing that it was just "their egos running away with them" - I think this sums up pretty well his attitude towards them. His personality being different, he did not have such a huge ego and perhaps even felt his own creativity was to a certain extent crushed by theirs. He was the quiet one and even George Martin admitted to have been nasty to him at times. Perhaps he was even a bit cross with himself because being introvert rather than extrovert can be quite an impediment when you are an artist (and when you're not as well, but that's a different story...) - not only when it comes to songwriting, but also (or even more) when it comes to performing. If I interpret his behaviour correctly ("Anthology" is just packed with body language, it's fascinating), he was in part unsatisfied with himself and in part jealous of the other two.
It's the start of a journey
To a much better place
And this wasn't bad
So a much better place
Would have to be special...
Cologne girl
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mini » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:29 pm

Bluebird wrote:
TRAINROBBER wrote:
Bluebird wrote:But he wrote years have passed so quickly. He had only known Yoko for 4 years then. Paul for 16 years.. And he sings "Things getting better all the time, as we share in each others arms" That line is to Paul, regardless what. You must remember that he was very drug-mad in 1980 because of the drugs and find it sometimes hard to remember. Maybe he wouldn´t admit that it was to Paul. I still think Mindgames have a serious point here, especially because that Paul made BOTR before this song. ANd "I know i know is written two years after HOW DO YOU SLEEP.. I think it´s a sorry song to Paul. :)

He Had been married to Yoko for 4 years , he had known her since 1966.
John to my knowledge had never had a problem with his memory and for how many drugs he was taking by 1980? I don't know how anyone who would know that?

John never had a problem admitting anything as far as I'm concerned. It was common knowledge that Paul had written "Too many people" about John so john wrote "HDYS". I don't think it would have been hard for him at all to say it was about Paul. So I still believe the song was about Yoko.....
John said in an interview in 1980 that he wrote "Two of us" and 70 percent of "Eleanor rigby" so I found it hard to belive him.. I think "I know I know" is not the typical Lennon ballad. I think it could be a friendship song. "Today I love you more than yesterday" which could mean that he always change his feelings to Paul..

Can you please point me to the interview where John actually says this?

All he ever said about Eleanor Rigby was that he wrote the middle-eight.
Pete Shotten also claims to have written some of the lyrics and in 1984 George Harrison said he wrote 4 lines of Eleanor Rigby. The authorship of this song is one of the great mysteries of Beatles songs, so many people claiming to have a hand in it makes you wonder who really wrote what.

As for Two of Us that is a Paul song I can't remember ever reading that John wrote 70% of it.
Mini

Postby Mike » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:45 pm

In 1972 (Hit Parade) John said he wrote 70% of the lyrics, I have seen nothing about him claiming anything on the tune.

Paul said in 1981 that he read that and that John contributed about half a line, Pete Shotton also claims John little if anything to do with ER. Pete Shotton said he suggested that Father Mackenzie do the burial thus the two lonely people coming together but he said John shot the idea down which was the only thing he said during the session.

As per Two of Us, Paul wrote this not about John and him but serious fans know Paul wrote this 100% himself and it was, is about him and Linda.
Mike Kovacich
www.macca-central.com . . . . . . . . . . . . www.maccaradio.com
The Paul McCartney FUNSITE . . . . . . . . The Voice of The Beatles
Mike

Postby nerktwin » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:49 pm

They were going through the list of songs and "Two of us" came up and John said only "Mine"- it's more than likely he was thinking of some other song- I don't think he would tried to say that song was his, during the interview, he confused some of the songs and coulnd't even remember the right titles for some of them-

alot of people had a hand in Eleanor Rigby- Paul wrote the tune, the first verse and had the idea, but it seems likely that Paul, John, Pete Shotten, George Harrison and even Ringo ('darning his socks in the night' was supposedly Ringo's) helped shape it up- Harrison claimed to write two lines of it, and John gave Harrison partial credit for the middle eight. but Paul and John would have conferred together at the end result, as they usually did, to each agree it was finished and didn't need more done to it.
nerktwin

Previous

Return to JOHN