Has John ever wrote a nice song to Paul?

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby kylestyle » Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:58 am

Well the obvious one that comes to mind is Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds....at the time, they were accused of it being totally druggy and trippy and poor ole John had to come forward in the end and say "look, my son Julian made a painting". While people over-analysed that song, trying to wring every last obscure drug reference from it, it was innocently-penned, perhaps garnished with psychedellia for good measure - but it seems almost dangerous to stretch lyrics out of context to the point where all "truth" is lost.

The songwriting process is a mysterious one, I think even Paul has commented on how he has no idea how ideas come about...that it truly is a mystery. I kinda believe that once songwriters come clean and are encouraged to dissect each lyric in detail, it removes that 'air of mystery' and ultimately affects one's enjoyment of the song. Sometimes, it's really cool to know where a certain line comes from, but it's also nice to just have that mystique element there.

Heck, in the end, who cares what the lyrics are about, just kick back, relax, enjoy the songs! :D
I needed comfort of love just to get me some piece of mind.. wo-oh
kylestyle
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby Bluebird » Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:28 pm

Is anybody agree with that "On the way" could be a song to John... :?

Well We've Been Traveling For A Long Time
And We Finally Finished Here
Though I Said Some Things To Hurt You
Well It Was Only Out Of Fear
You must appreciate the day...
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby mindgames » Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:23 pm

Yeah, me! Could be....
Tak skal du ha', Bluebird!

I don't think writing a song is such a "technical" thing...
The composer expresses his feelings and experiences too, so you can't underrate the lyrics. They are a vehicle for emotions sometimes....
Hope this makes sense, this is not my first language.
mindgames

Postby Bluebird » Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:03 pm

mindgames wrote:Yeah, me! Could be....
Tak skal du ha', Bluebird!

I don't think writing a song is such a "technical" thing...
The composer expresses his feelings and experiences too, so you can't underrate the lyrics. They are a vehicle for emotions sometimes....
Hope this makes sense, this is not my first language.
Woah du snakkede lige dansk der :o Lots of songwriters do it in that way. Paul has also said many times that his songs can be tolerated on lots of differents things, so I don´t think he´s disagree if we told him our comments about "On the way". I think that song could be a song to him( John)...
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby TRAINROBBER » Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:59 pm

mindgames wrote:Maybe it's just me but I've always thought that the song "I know (I know) " referred somehow to Paul. I can't explain it really, it's just a feeling. Please let me know your opinion.

I know (I know)

The years have passed so quickly
one thing I've understood
I'm only learning
to tell the trees from wood

I know what's coming down
and I know where it's coming from
And I know and I'm sorry.

(Yes I am)
But I never could speak my mind

And I know just how you feel
and I know now what I have done
And I know and I'm guilty
(Yes I am)
But I never could read your mind

I know what I was missing
but now my eyes can see
I put myself in your place
as you did for me

Today I love you more than yesterday
right now I love you more, right now

I know what's coming down
I can feel where it's coming from
And I know it's getting better
(all the time)
as we share in each others minds

Today I love you more than yesterday
right now I love you more, right now[/i]

I don't think so, you have to remember that at the time him and yoko were having marital problems. john has also said that all his love songs are about yoko.......the album came out in 73 and I think John would have said something about it by 1980 if it was about paul...........
TRAINROBBER

Postby mindgames » Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:31 am

album came out in 73 and I think John would have said something about it by 1980 if it was about paul...........

And I'm sure he wouldn't..... :oops:
mindgames

Postby Bluebird » Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:13 am

TRAINROBBER wrote:

I don't think so, you have to remember that at the time him and yoko were having marital problems. john has also said that all his love songs are about yoko.......the album came out in 73 and I think John would have said something about it by 1980 if it was about paul...........
But he wrote years have passed so quickly. He had only known Yoko for 4 years then. Paul for 16 years.. And he sings "Things getting better all the time, as we share in each others arms" That line is to Paul, regardless what. You must remember that he was very drug-mad in 1980 because of the drugs and find it sometimes hard to remember. Maybe he wouldn´t admit that it was to Paul. I still think Mindgames have a serious point here, especially because that Paul made BOTR before this song. ANd "I know i know is written two years after HOW DO YOU SLEEP.. I think it´s a sorry song to Paul. :)
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby TRAINROBBER » Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:39 am

Bluebird wrote:But he wrote years have passed so quickly. He had only known Yoko for 4 years then. Paul for 16 years.. And he sings "Things getting better all the time, as we share in each others arms" That line is to Paul, regardless what. You must remember that he was very drug-mad in 1980 because of the drugs and find it sometimes hard to remember. Maybe he wouldn´t admit that it was to Paul. I still think Mindgames have a serious point here, especially because that Paul made BOTR before this song. ANd "I know i know is written two years after HOW DO YOU SLEEP.. I think it´s a sorry song to Paul. :)

He Had been married to Yoko for 4 years , he had known her since 1966.
John to my knowledge had never had a problem with his memory and for how many drugs he was taking by 1980? I don't know how anyone who would know that?

John never had a problem admitting anything as far as I'm concerned. It was common knowledge that Paul had written "Too many people" about John so john wrote "HDYS". I don't think it would have been hard for him at all to say it was about Paul. So I still believe the song was about Yoko.....
TRAINROBBER

Postby Bluebird » Thu Jul 08, 2004 10:20 am

TRAINROBBER wrote:
Bluebird wrote:But he wrote years have passed so quickly. He had only known Yoko for 4 years then. Paul for 16 years.. And he sings "Things getting better all the time, as we share in each others arms" That line is to Paul, regardless what. You must remember that he was very drug-mad in 1980 because of the drugs and find it sometimes hard to remember. Maybe he wouldn´t admit that it was to Paul. I still think Mindgames have a serious point here, especially because that Paul made BOTR before this song. ANd "I know i know is written two years after HOW DO YOU SLEEP.. I think it´s a sorry song to Paul. :)

He Had been married to Yoko for 4 years , he had known her since 1966.
John to my knowledge had never had a problem with his memory and for how many drugs he was taking by 1980? I don't know how anyone who would know that?

John never had a problem admitting anything as far as I'm concerned. It was common knowledge that Paul had written "Too many people" about John so john wrote "HDYS". I don't think it would have been hard for him at all to say it was about Paul. So I still believe the song was about Yoko.....
John said in an interview in 1980 that he wrote "Two of us" and 70 percent of "Eleanor rigby" so I found it hard to belive him.. I think "I know I know" is not the typical Lennon ballad. I think it could be a friendship song. "Today I love you more than yesterday" which could mean that he always change his feelings to Paul..
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby TRAINROBBER » Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:38 pm

"TWO OF US" I DON'T KNOW, BUT ELEANOR RIGBY WAS WRITTEN MOSTLY BY JOHN..........AND IN MY OPINION jOHN HAD ALWAYS BEEN THE MOST OPEN AND OPINIONATED OF ALL THE BEATLES........AND FIND HIM ALSO TO BE THE MOST TRUTHFUL.......
if the man wants to shove us out were gonna jump and shout the statue of liberty said come-JL
TRAINROBBER

PreviousNext

Return to JOHN