Is Madonna the Female Lennon?

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby Ram1 » Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:58 pm

kylestyle wrote:
dsnito wrote:MUSICALLY Madonna could NEVER be compared to John or ANY of THE BEATLES(even Ringo!)...they´re zillion of miles ahead from "lady" Madonna... :lol:

But are they really?

Material Girl, that's a classic song, so is Like A Prayer, as is Love Profusion. Musically, there's a lot going on in Madonna's work. I don't think The Beatles are a zillion miles ahead, maybe a hundred miles ahead or 75 miles, but definitely not a zillion.

Well, they're AT LEAST a Billion, LOL. I actually have a lot of respect for Madonna as an artist and businesswoman. Any artist, ANY artist, that has been around for over 20 years must be doing something right. She's not "manufactured", she is a great lyricist, and she has recorded some classic songs over the years. In the Top 50 artists of all time in terms of influence? Yeah, probably. Close to John Winston Lennon in musical brilliance? No.
October 8th, 2005....The BEST show EVER!!!!
Ram1

Postby kylestyle » Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:17 am

Ram1 wrote:She's not "manufactured", she is a great lyricist, and she has recorded some classic songs over the years. In the Top 50 artists of all time in terms of influence? Yeah, probably. Close to John Winston Lennon in musical brilliance? No.

Yes, I think this statement puts the two people into perspective. John was a brilliant, brilliant songwriter and musician. Nobody is doubting this. But the question is "Is Madonna the female Lennon", and I can hear little pieces of John in Madonna's voice, and also in lyrics. Nobody is saying she is as great as Lennon, or greater, but I don't think we should be disrespecting her either, or writing her off as a manufactured artist who purely uses her body to sell herself. Madonna is just fine to me, and I am enjoying her "comeback" with the last 3 albums she has put out. On none of those albums did she need to part her legs to sell units...the sparkling quality and arrangements of the music on her 'trilogy' (Ray of Light / Music / American Life) speaks for itself.
I needed comfort of love just to get me some piece of mind.. wo-oh
kylestyle
Gold member :)

Postby Cologne girl » Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:48 pm

Today I've read Madonna performed "Imagine" at a concert for the victims of the terrorists in Russia. It would have been interesting to hear her version, wouldn't it?
It's the start of a journey
To a much better place
And this wasn't bad
So a much better place
Would have to be special...
Cologne girl
Supporter
Supporter

Postby kylestyle » Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:46 pm

What we have here is probably just a generation problem, seniors are not so much fancied about that woman.

Madonna is 46 years old now - a "senior" herself. For there to be a generation gap, you would have to be around 60 years old, or suddenly refuse to listen to any new music after the age of 25.

Today I've read Madonna performed "Imagine" at a concert for the victims of the terrorists in Russia. It would have been interesting to hear her version, wouldn't it?

Yes, I will have to do some Googling later on to find out more about the concert. :)

Here's a Madonna cover to look out for....simply the best cover of a Madonna song by anyone ever: Belgian band Arid covered "Substitute For Love" and it is one of the most perfect covers ever. His voice and sound is very Jeff Buckley, very expressive.
kylestyle

Postby kylestyle » Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:29 pm

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5933049/

Madonna pays tribute to Russian tragedy
Singer dedicated ‘Imagine’ to the 330 hostages who were killed
The Associated Press
Updated: 2:36 p.m. ET Sept. 7, 2004

PARIS - Madonna drew massive applause from a sold-out crowd at Paris’ Bercy stadium when she dedicated a cover version of John Lennon’s peace ode “Imagine” to the Russian hostage crisis.

Addressing the audience midway through her Sunday-night show, Madonna spoke briefly about the hostage-taking at a school in the southern city of Beslan that left at least 330 dead. Officials have blamed the deadly attack on Chechens and other Islamic militants.

As video images of war and children were broadcast behind her on giant screens, the 46-year-old pop diva urged fans to think about what happened in Russia and about Lennon’s lyrics.
kylestyle

Postby Ram1 » Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:44 pm

I don't have the Ray of Light album, but I admit that the song itself is very very good.
Ram1

Postby Ram1 » Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:49 pm

In terms of Madonna's sex appeal, I believe she is much sexier in her "older" age these past few years. She doesn't carry her sexuality around on her sleeve anymore, which seemed just slutty in the past. She is more of like an elderstateswoman now and very classy, which I find much sexier.
Ram1

Postby esto » Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:33 am

kylestyle wrote:
What we have here is probably just a generation problem, seniors are not so much fancied about that woman.

Madonna is 46 years old now - a "senior" herself. For there to be a generation gap, you would have to be around 60 years old, or suddenly refuse to listen to any new music after the age of 25.
I'm 46 too and listening new music all the time, but it's pretty difficult to find something new. I'll try to see a bright side in everything incl. music. For example Maroon 5, who's first single was nice, second one is nothing.
I think in musicbusiness there is more business than music nowadays.
BTW I never said I don't like Madonna's music, just happened to see on TV not so good concert with too many bum notes. More dancing then singing.
There is no music to die for, there is only music to live for!
esto
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Bluebird » Wed Sep 08, 2004 4:57 pm

You must appreciate the day...
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby dsnito » Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:34 pm

Praiseable act of her indeed...but insisting on, Madonna is one of the great artists post-Beatles but no comparisons with John Winston Lennon, please. :wink:
Life Is Very Short And There's No Time For Fussing And Fighting, My Friend...
Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

PreviousNext

Return to JOHN