Songs that John are Jealous on Paul.

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby EddieV » Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:47 am

I read in interviews as well as in books John couldn´t keep up with the pace which Paul wrote songs.
I´m totally a Paul fan, I like Lennon because he was the person he was. You didn´t know what to exspect from him. He has written some classic songs. But he didn´t seem to have the quality and the guts that Paul had.
He was very insecure of himself and maybe thats why he hookedup with Yoko.
How many concerts did Lennon do??? Not many. Paul seem to challenge himself all the time. With new tours, cartoons and so on. He is very hardworking.
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Bluebird » Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:25 pm

EddieV wrote:I read in interviews as well as in books John couldn´t keep up with the pace which Paul wrote songs.
I´m totally a Paul fan, I like Lennon because he was the person he was. You didn´t know what to exspect from him. He has written some classic songs. But he didn´t seem to have the quality and the guts that Paul had.
He was very insecure of himself and maybe thats why he hookedup with Yoko.
How many concerts did Lennon do??? Not many. Paul seem to challenge himself all the time. With new tours, cartoons and so on. He is very hardworking.
100 % Agree. Lennon was baking breads while McCartney did the most popular tour in the 70´s. Of course I understand that Lennon wanted to be a good father and helping his son to grow up, but then he could have record an album in his house like McCartney did with "McCartney" and "McCartney 2", Lennon just didn´t seem to have the inspiration this time. And he found it hard to overcome his ealier partner.
You must appreciate the day...
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Cologne girl » Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:44 pm

Bluebird wrote:100 % Agree. Lennon was baking breads while McCartney did the most popular tour in the 70´s. Of course I understand that Lennon wanted to be a good father and helping his son to grow up, but then he could have record an album in his house like McCartney did with "McCartney" and "McCartney 2", Lennon just didn´t seem to have the inspiration this time. And he found it hard to overcome his ealier partner.

I suppose John's temporary retirement was also an attempt of escaping from the pressure and the strain. And I don't know to what extent recording an album à la "Macca I" or "Macca II" would have been quite his kind of thing - I can imagine he needed the company and the advice of other people, doing it all by himself might have been boring for him. Apart from that, did he know how to play drums, for instance? And if not, would synth drums have been his cup of tea? Finally, don't let's forget that Macca of the Beatles was the one who by far enjoyed performing most. The others, although doing it every once in a while, could quite well live without it for larger stretches of time.
It's the start of a journey
To a much better place
And this wasn't bad
So a much better place
Would have to be special...
Cologne girl
Supporter
Supporter

Postby EddieV » Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:33 pm

John must have jealous of Paul, writing a rock-song like I´m down, which often were used when closing a concert.

Wathing The Shea Stadium concert, where John goes mad on the piano, he must have been just a little jealous of Paul.
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby HeyJude » Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:31 pm

EddieV wrote:Wathing The Shea Stadium concert, where John goes mad on the piano, he must have been just a little jealous of Paul.

Wha? Jealous?In the Anthology book he's quoted saying he felt kind of insecure then because that was about the first time he played keyboards like that live, and it was weird for him not to have a guitar in front of him, so he fooled around quite a bit to ease his own feelings (and make George laugh so hard he could hardly play :D ).
one sweet dream came true today!!!!!
4.6.2004 Leipzig
yay Anna!!!! :mrgreen:
HeyJude
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Bluebird » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:20 pm

EddieV wrote:John must have jealous of Paul, writing a rock-song like I´m down, which often were used when closing a concert.

Wathing The Shea Stadium concert, where John goes mad on the piano, he must have been just a little jealous of Paul.
I think John was more jealouse on Oh darling and Hey Jude. I don´t know if he has said it, it was just my own thought.
You must appreciate the day...
Bluebird
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Mini » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:01 am

I don't think John was ever jealous of Paul , if anything he was proud of Paul. I think John has been less reluctant than Paul to give Paul credit where it's due.

John's resentment of Paul I think is more to do with business involving Northern Songs and Apple and I can understand why he would feel that way.
Mini

Postby dsnito » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:07 am

Bluebird wrote:I think John was more jealouse on Oh darling and Hey Jude. I don´t know if he has said it, it was just my own thought.

I don't think so...about "Oh Darling!"John just said that he would not sing like the way Paul did.
John ever liked "Hey Jude".That song was about his son Julian, and the lyrics touched John...the line "don't carry the world upon your shoulders" was almost taken off by Paul, but John said that the phrase sounded great, and asked him to let that way.
Life Is Very Short And There's No Time For Fussing And Fighting, My Friend...
Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby nerktwin » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:38 am

Mini wrote:I don't think John was ever jealous of Paul , if anything he was proud of Paul. I think John has been less reluctant than Paul to give Paul credit where it's due.

John's resentment of Paul I think is more to do with business involving Northern Songs and Apple and I can understand why he would feel that way.

I really agree with this- when Paul wrote a song John thought was good, he was very proud of him and make sure to tell anyone interviewing him about certain songs he admired.

Paul was more a father to Julian than John?? What a joke- i don't think they even talked for years and years- that's just bitter Julian getting some shots out on John.
nerktwin

Postby King_Monkey! » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:37 pm

In Pauls book "Many Years From Now" McCartney says something along the lines of "I find it refreshing to know that out of all the songs John & I wrote we only disagree/differ on two!" But Johns remarks coincide with McCartneys remarks on more than 2 songs! McCartney says he did not check beforehand what John had said about who wrote what until after his interviews for the book. But Lennon claims quite a bit more than McCartney seems to think! Like the lyrics of "Eleanor Rigby", the middle eight of "And I Love Her" and melody of "In My Life" etc!

For example:

When I was in The Beatles I thought I didn't write melodies, that Paul wrote those and I just wrote straight, shouting rock 'n' roll. But, of course, when I think of some of my own songs -- "In My Life" -- or some of the early stuff -- "This Boy" -- I was writing melody with the best of them.

I wish I could find the interview where he goes through each ( or a hell of a lot of Beatles songs ) I can't find it in my copy of The Playboy interview. Maybe this is why McCartney thinks they only disagree on 2 songs as it must be in another interview. But Lennon did go through quite a few well known Beatles classics. That said McCartney claims credit on an awful lot of songs generally regarded as Lennon/Beatles works. Most notably "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds"… McCartney claims this was co-written in his 1997 book yet only gives "Newspaper taxis appear on the shore" as the only example of his offerings to a 'co-written' song! He claims half of "Norwegian Wood" and "The Benefit of Mr Kite" McCartney also claims that songs like "Girl" and "If I Fell" were very much co-written!

That said I think McCartney had more musical in-put on Lennons Beatle songs than Lennon had on McCartneys! For example the intro of Strawberry Fields – that's a key part of the song! The tape loops in "Tomorrow Never Knows" the melody of "In My Life" or the counter melody of "Help!" Very much so if his claim that "Norwegian Wood" was 50/50 :?
King_Monkey!

PreviousNext

Return to JOHN